• 2,266,407 Discussions
  • 7,911,104 Comments

Discussions

PBCS ASO Database - copy data?

Robert Angel
Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
edited Feb 27, 2018 5:08AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi,

simple question, within the constraints of PBCS is there any way to copy all data for a scenario / version / year combination to a different version?

I have seen = > Data Copy in an ASO Application - so I get the principal of how it is done - unless there is a better way(?), what I am not understanding is with Cloud based Planning how / if the MaxL commands could be executed?

thanks for your input,

Robert.

Tagged:
Liliya BSrikanth GrandheUSER1211Teresa Modesta

Best Answer

• user111989
    user111989 Member Posts: 286
    edited Feb 26, 2018 8:02AM Answer ✓

Hi Robert,

Even we had the similar requirement, we tried both the approach DMS & Calculation manager rule.

Calculation Manager rule doesn't work if the amount of data is huge it gives error.

For DMS we tried and I think if you load month by month it will get loaded but will take time to load.

Finally, we copied the scenario in BSO application and then using Data Maps we pushed the data from BSO to ASO since we had all the data coming from BSO.

Robert Angel

Answers

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Feb 23, 2018 7:56AM

No Maxl at the current time. EPM Automate is the schedule tool.

You could look at Data Management to move data.

Other members of the board may certainly have further input.

Robert Angel
  • JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 23, 2018 8:15AM

Also currently there are none of the MDX data copy calc manager functions available in PBCS which are available in on-premise, these would have been useful for copying ASO data, so the options are limited in PBCS.

Robert Angel
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 23, 2018 8:38AM

re: 'you could look at data management to move data' - I have used data management before for file to database, but I have never used it for database to database, is it possible to do this directly, i.e. without exporting data out of ASO and then using data management to load it, but by using ASO as both source and target, presumably with a transformation to create the version to version copy that I am seeking?

thanks for your input,

Robert.

• Robert Angel
    edited Feb 23, 2018 8:40AM

Limited to zero, or is there some kind of workaround I could operate?

And thanks for confirming my understanding on Maxl!

• JohnGoodwin
    edited Feb 23, 2018 9:28AM

You can have the same ASO application as source and target in Data Management, then map the version between source and target.

The data is still exported and imported,here is an example mapping different versions between source and target.

pastedImage_0.png

Before running the integration

pastedImage_4.png

After

pastedImage_5.png

Robert AngelLiliya BUSER1211
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 23, 2018 9:35AM

Many thanks John, I will experiment with this in test and suspect this may be my best option, in fact given how long export / import takes it makes me wonder if it may actually outperform datacopy via a business rule...

• JohnGoodwin
    edited Feb 23, 2018 11:33AM

Depending on the complexity there maybe the option to write a graphical rule in calculation manager using the formula object.

For example set up the POV

pastedImage_0.png

The formula copies from one version to another.

pastedImage_1.png

Before running the rule

pastedImage_2.png

After running the rule.

pastedImage_4.png

Robert AngelSrikanth GrandheTeresa Modesta
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 23, 2018 11:47AM

Thanks again, ASO is looking much better than I anticipated!!!

I will trial this also and see if it 'scales' to my requirement and how it performs against the data management option.

• Kyle Goodfriend
    Kyle Goodfriend Member Posts: 185
    edited Feb 24, 2018 12:44AM

if You have pbcs+1 you could write a groovy calculation to do this. Performance is really good. Examples are posted on in2hyperion.com.

Robert Angel
  • Robert Angel
    edited Feb 26, 2018 7:02AM

Just PBCS on this project, so sadly groovy is not an option, I am a bit of a code head so I will bare it in mind for future reference though, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.