On January 27th, this site will be read-only as we migrate to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,526 Users
  • 2,269,754 Discussions
  • 7,916,772 Comments

Discussions

listener.ora in RAC ENV ..

Jhil
Jhil Member Posts: 3,182 Bronze Trophy
edited Feb 26, 2018 11:26PM in Real Application Clusters

Dear RAC Experts ,

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_home  ----> Here i installed DB Software

/u01/product/11.2.0/grid_home          -----> Here i installed GRID Software

>> listener.ora file in RAC env

As we know , listener.ora is running from $GRID_HOME ...

$ORACLE_HOME parameter should point   DB_HOME or GRID_HOME  ??

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = XXXXX )

(ORACLE_HOME = ---------------------------->) Do we need to mention grid_home or oracle_home ?

(GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl)

)

)

I am getting much confused.

Some people are saying ORACLE_HOME parameter should point $ORACLE_HOME

Some others are saying ORACLE_HOME parameter should point $GRID_HOME

As a beginner, I am getting confused, which one should be there ?

JhilDude!

Best Answer

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 25, 2018 1:56PM Answer ✓
    Jhil wrote:Hi Edstevens,My question was simple and straight.

As have the answers you've gotten from multiple people.

I am getting different different answer from everyone's perspective regrading my question.

The only "different" answer I've seen is from Miguel Palacios in msg #9 of this thread.

Still i am in confusion.

Perhaps if you wouldn't try to discuss the same question in 3 different threads:

listener.ora in RAC ENV ..

Need to put DB files in DiskGroup in standard structure

RMAN Cloning Server to Server to setup RAC Database

Personally I'm tired of have to constantly cross-reference 3 different threads to see what was said where.

I am NOT expert like you.

No one expects beginners to be experts.  But eventually we run out of ways to try to explain fundamentals.

Mostly i am doing self study .. self practice.
    Just few months back i just started RAC ...I have gone through my office rac setup ( RAC and NON RAC DB's) are running in same machine.

One machine points ORACLE_HOME = (where GRID sw installed) in listener.ora file.

Another one machine points ORACLE_HOME = (where DB sw installed) in listener.ora file.

So that i am getting confused.Experts are suggesting to set DB sw path for ORACLE_HOME in listener.ora (which is runnning from $GRID_HOME)

There is one of your fundamental misunderstandings, which I've tried to explain a couple of times in at least one of the three threads you've got running on this same question.  Machines do not point to environment variables.  Environment variables are set within the memory space of individual processes running on a machine, and can be changed.  This is fundamental to computer operations and has nothing to do with anything specific to Oracle.  That said (again!), the immediate question again seems to be about setting the value for ORACLE_HOME as specified on individual database entries within the SID_LIST section of listener.ora.  Ok, so what is to reconcile?  We've already told you, multiple times, that one of them, the one that specified the GI home, is simply incorrect.  And we've explained, multiple times, WHY it is incorrect?  I'm sorry but at this point I fail to see why there should be any remaining confusion.

JuanM has suggested one thing..>> Is this good approach for RAC and NON RAC databases in same server ...SID_LIST_LISTENER = (SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = RAC1) (ORACLE_HOME = db home rac) )(SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = DBNORAC) (ORACLE_HOME = dbdno RAC home or dbdrac home if this database has the same oracle home) ))NOTE : i never seen +ASM entries in listener.ora file Now you please provide just simple and plain answer ... 

Again, I fail to see any point of confusion.  Look at it again, with the important bits highlighted:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = RAC1)

(ORACLE_HOME = db home rac)

)

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = DBNORAC)

(ORACLE_HOME = dbdno RAC home or dbdrac home if this database has the same oracle home)

)

)

So you've never seen an entry for +ASM in the SID_LIST section.  So what?  I've already told you multiple times that the SID_LIST section itself is optional.  By extension, that means any particular entry in it may also be considered optional.  At least until such time as a particular operation requires it.  IF you don't need to connect to the ASM instance across the network when the ASM instance is down, then you don't need an entry for it in your listener.ora file.  If you do use the SID_LIST section, then the ORACLE_HOME setting for any particular entry obviously (?) should refer to the ORACLE_HOME of the entity being described.  If the SID_LIST entry is for an 11.2 database, then the ORACLE_HOME would be for the 11.2 db home.  If the SID_LIST entry is for an 12.1 database, then the ORACLE_HOME would be for the 12.1 db home.  And If the SID_LIST entry is for the ASM instance,  then the ORACLE_HOME would be for the ASM home.

Dude!Jhil

Answers

• Markus Flechtner
    Markus Flechtner GermanyMember Posts: 503 Bronze Trophy
    edited Feb 24, 2018 1:07PM

Hi,

in a typical setup, you do not need to specify the SID_LIST for a listener in the listener.ora. The instance registers itself at the listener automatically after startup.

But if you specify the SID_LIST, the Oracle Home must be the Oracle Home from which the instance is running (i.e. the RDBMS Home).

This is independent from the ORACLE-Home from which the listener is running.

HTH

Markus

Jhil
  • Jhil
    edited Feb 24, 2018 1:26PM

Hi,

Pls tell me little more ..

As we know, listener.ora is running from $GRID_HOME in RAC setup.

Suppose  in same server i am running Standalone DB and RAC DB also

in this case,  can i use same listener.ora file for RAC and NON RAC Databases ?

In this case, how listener.ora entries typically to be configured ?

please show me simple example

Thanks

• Markus Flechtner
    Markus Flechtner GermanyMember Posts: 503 Bronze Trophy
    edited Feb 24, 2018 1:59PM

Hi,

typically you do not need to configure anything in listener.ora.

The database instances (RAC and Non-RAC) register at the listener automatically.

And you do not need different listener.ora for RAC and Non-RAC-DBs (because listener are independent on the db instances)

HTH

Markus

• Jhil
    edited Feb 24, 2018 2:41PM

Hi,

>> How i made rac setup  on my laptop

/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_home  ----> Here i installed DB Software

/u01/product/11.2.0/grid_home           ----> Here i installed GRID Software 

Without uddating listener.ora,  i could NOT complete my cloning process NON RAC to RAC.

i updated listener.ora separately.

RMAN Cloning Server to Server to setup RAC Database

I tried to do clone from NON RAC to RAC

I got follwing error

RMAN-06174: not connected to auxiliary database

RMAN-03015: error occurred in stored script Memory Script

RMAN-04006: error from auxiliary database: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

and then updated listener.ora following below

SID_LIST_LISTENER =

(SID_LIST =

(SID_DESC =

(SID_NAME = orcl)

(ORACLE_HOME = /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_home) 

(GLOBAL_DBNAME = orcl)

)

)

I added ORACLE_HOME = DB Software Installed path instead of Grid Path

After that i done cloning NON RAC to RAC DB for Standalone DB.

==> in my office .. ORACLE_HOME is pointing $GRID_HOME  only

I am getting confused

When should i use $GRID_HOME and  $ORACLE_HOME ?

• Dude!
    Dude! [email protected]Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Feb 24, 2018 3:00PM

The listener.ora file exists in the network/admin directories of the grid and database installation, as both installations provide a listener service. It's common practice however to use the listener of the grid installation, since you also need to start the ASM instance before you can start the database.

You do not specify GRID_HOME in the listener.ora file. On UNIX and Linux, setting ORACLE_HOME is actually optional to specify the Oracle home location of the instance.

For more details, please check https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/network.111/b28316/listenercfg.htm#i486171

Jhil
  • Jhil
    edited Feb 24, 2018 3:39PM

Hi Dude,

Getting some thing.

I have checked office rac env

>> From $GRID_HOME  (11.2.0.4)

In one server,  ORACLE_HOME is pointing $GRID_PATH

In another one server, ORACLE_HOME is pointing $ORACLE_PATH

One thing i want to colclude

1) Shall i keep  (ORACLE_HOME=DB Software Installed path)  always in listener.ora from $GRID_HOME ?From GRID_HOME in listener.ora fileexample :...ORACLE_HOME=/u01/........./db_home  ....

Please answer for my question.

Thanks

• JuanM
    JuanM DBA Oracle en Mexico MexicoMember Posts: 2,155 Gold Trophy
    edited Feb 24, 2018 4:13PM

when the connection will be to a database, then put the oracle home for the database binaries where was started.

when the connection will be to an ASM instance, then put the grid home where ASM instance was started.

that's what @EdStevens wrote on reply 12 on Need to put DB files in DiskGroup in standard structure

Jhil
  • Dude!
    Dude! [email protected]Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Feb 24, 2018 5:39PM

Why do you need to configure ORACLE_HOME in the listener.ora file?

From what I understand it needs to be set to the software installation of the Listener instance. So if you use the listener from Grid, then ORACLE_HOME needs to point to the grid home. All Oracle binaries use libraries, tools and configuration files according to ORACLE_HOME, regardless of Grid or Database. Since the versions of the listener from Grid and Database are identical, it probably doesn't matter which one you choose. However, by bother?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18283_01/network.112/e10836/listenercfg.htm

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 11.30.20 PM.jpg

P.S. you finally changed your name

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jhil

JhilJhil
  • Miguel Palacios
    Miguel Palacios Member Posts: 187 Bronze Badge
    edited Feb 24, 2018 8:14PM

Hi Jhil

Just to let you know that RMAN Duplicate does not work when using GI_HOME listener, you should use a listener running from RDBMS_HOME on the target

Regards

Miguel

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 24, 2018 10:22PM
    Miguel Palacios wrote:Hi JhilJust to let you know that RMAN Duplicate does not work when using GI_HOME listener, you should use a listener running from RDBMS_HOME on the targetRegardsMiguel

Nonsense.  Please cite your source.

I have an ASM based production database that is duplicated (rman duplicate) to a test server every week.  The listener on both servers is always running from the GI home.  Has been for years, from 11.2.0.1 (when I inherited it) through 11.2.0.2, 11.2.0.3, 11.2.04. to 12.1.0.2.  And just to put icing on the cake, at each upgrade, the GI was upgraded several weeks ahead of the db.

Jhil
This discussion has been closed.