On January 27th, this site will be read-only as we migrate to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,889,522 Users
  • 2,269,753 Discussions
  • 7,916,768 Comments

Discussions

What Constitutes Use of the RAC Option by Oracle Licensing?

aknoll
aknoll Member Posts: 11 Blue Ribbon
edited Feb 28, 2018 3:21PM in Real Application Clusters

I have posed this question before but have never really gotten a clear answer.  Is it possible to "back down" from a RAC w/ ASM installation to the point where Oracle Licensing would not consider that the RAC option was being used?

We are being questioned by management about what it would take to drop the RAC option (most importantly the price tag associated with it) from our RAC clusters.

We have already dropped all non-primary nodes in each cluster to get down to one node/instance. 

We would prefer, of course, to get to where we need to be with the least amount of work.

I have seen discussions on various sites that state that all that is required is to re-link the rac binaries with the RAC option disabled.

We would prefer to still leverage the current ASM diskgroups/datafiles.

Any insight or experiences regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Answers

• Dude!
    Dude! [email protected]Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Feb 27, 2018 12:36PM

You may never get a valid answer to a licensing and quote question asking in a public forum.

• SPA09
    SPA09 Member Posts: 867 Gold Badge
    edited Feb 28, 2018 8:22AM

Hi,

call your Oracle Sales to answer these kind questions.

We can't help here in the forum

regards

• Dude!
    Dude! [email protected]Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Feb 28, 2018 8:33AM

My personal opinion, a defunct RAC cluster does not break the licensing requirements. Have you considered converting the RAC database to standalone or single instance? There's plenty of info about it on the web. Here's an older post you may find useful: Convert RAC with ASM to single instance.

• aknoll
    edited Feb 28, 2018 9:22AM

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I have looked at the post you mentioned but was curious if Oracle Licensing would be satisfied by simply flipping a value and re-linking the current binaries. 

Guess I am looking to leverage any of the current installation if possible without having to lay down additional binaries, etc..

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Feb 28, 2018 12:06PM

I've never been in this situation, but I would think that if you could prove at one point you were licensed for it, but are no longer using it, the *should* accept that. That being said, you'll be dealing with Oracle auditors...So I'd probably take a more cautious route and create a new database and Data Pump or TTS the data over to it so that it doesn't show RAC as ever being used.

You could always ask Oracle License Management Services for their take on it.

Cheers,

Brian

• aknoll
    edited Feb 28, 2018 3:21PM

Thanks Brian,

I had planned all along to discuss with OLM Services, but was just interested in gathering information to see what was possible.  Trying to "get to the right point" without having to run around the earth and back, ha...

- Alex

This discussion has been closed.