• 2,264,441 Discussions
  • 7,905,847 Comments

Discussions

Problem of process, not helped by business rules

Robert Angel
Robert Angel Member Posts: 4,535 Bronze Crown
edited Mar 26, 2018 7:00AM in Planning and Budgeting

True story.

A school was painted, rewired, replastered.

In that order.

Dumb right?

We have a PBCS task list that goes; -

1. Base data is imported to BegBalance period

2. Base data is used in a business rule to populate Jan:Dec

3. Users manually input data on top of that

The problem comes when 3 removes data input into 1.

Then the user returns to 2 and wipes out data input into 3. (They are losing the paint with the plaster)

Multiply this by a fair number of combinations of data and you have an on going 'situation'.

My thoughts to fix this; -

1. When 2 runs first copy 3's data elsewhere, then run 2, then copy 3's data back.

2. If data for 3 exists for the account in question then don't populate it with data from 2

1 seems easy to implement, but in the process in question the result could be some kind of inconsistent mix (headcount says zero, FTE says 1)

2 ditto on the inconsistency, and with the current business rule logic may be difficult to right, there are already a fair few logical clauses

3 separate out 1 and 2 from writing to the same place - not keen on this as I may struggle to put it in the current dimensionality and does not make sense for the end user

I know there is no right answer here, but does anyone have any thoughts / opinions / observations that might help here?

Thanks for any input, deliberately not posting scripts as don't want to get into the logic before I have the principal straight.

Robert.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Mar 23, 2018 12:49AM Answer ✓

Alot of stuff going on and of course only you know all the details.

If Step 1 is "seeded",could you not restrict access to it and keep users adjustments to just the months. That way your current process works.

Else do not import/seed and let the end users do it manual to the months.

If an item is truly "subjective" and can't be reasonably driven by logic sometimes manual input is the solution.

Other members will certainly provide their input.

Robert Angel

Answers

• USER1211
    USER1211 Member Posts: 3,104
    edited Mar 23, 2018 12:49AM Answer ✓

Alot of stuff going on and of course only you know all the details.

If Step 1 is "seeded",could you not restrict access to it and keep users adjustments to just the months. That way your current process works.

Else do not import/seed and let the end users do it manual to the months.

If an item is truly "subjective" and can't be reasonably driven by logic sometimes manual input is the solution.

Other members will certainly provide their input.

Robert Angel
This discussion has been closed.