This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 31st, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,393 Users
  • 2,269,776 Discussions
  • 7,916,824 Comments

Discussions

Upgrade the kernal package on linux 6.5

Kishore_Reddy
Kishore_Reddy Oracle DBAHyderabadMember Posts: 34
edited Apr 2, 2018 12:43AM in Oracle Linux

Hello,

I want to upgrade the kernel in my Linux 6.5. I am frequently facing an issue. below is the screen shot. after research I figured it out to upgrade the kernel package. I have no clue how to do it. CAn someone help me on this ?.. How can I know which kernel my system is using and to which kernel to upgrade.

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you

Kishore Reddy

Tagged:

Answers

• Dude!
    Dude! [email protected]Member Posts: 22,830 Black Diamond
    edited Mar 28, 2018 4:26AM

A "soft lockup" usually occurs when the kernel is too busy allocating or releasing objects that prevent multitasking thresholds. The watchdog daemon will then send a message to all CPU's, reporting the problem and their current running task.

What makes you think that upgrading the kernel is the solution? You may have a problem with hardware or exceeding available system resources. However, updating 6.5, which is obsolete and no longer maintained, to the latest release update 6.9 is a good idea. This will apply errata and patches.

# yum update

• Kishore_Reddy
    Kishore_Reddy Oracle DBA HyderabadMember Posts: 34
    edited Apr 2, 2018 12:43AM

Hi Dude,

I was reading the below document. it says to upgrade the kernel. I have no idea how to do it.

Link: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2039183

thank you

Kishore Reddy

This discussion has been closed.