Forum Stats

• 3,770,332 Users
  • 2,253,095 Discussions
  • 7,875,405 Comments

Discussions

BPM12c - Custom Worklist application using REST api

3248596 Member Posts: 3

As a proof of concept, we built few BPM applications for some of our internal processes and used ADF for building front-end applications.

This was done to showcase the value of BPMS to stakeholders so that certain mission critical applications can also built using this platform. This POC was done using BPM11g version.

While the controls, features, flexibility provided by BPM engine was very good but since it worked in background nobody took notice of it, most of the user feedback were on the UI side.

Since BPM workspace is the application which was used by users to manage tasks, we added our ADF applications as links under "Links" tab in workspace so that users can access all the applications from same portal. And we received most of the feedback related BPM workspace application itself related to the different customizations the users were expecting out of it.

So now when we are planning to migrate to BPM12c and build more processes/applications on top of it, we thought of making a custom Workspace application using Javascript framework like Angular, React as front-end with REST apis of BPM engine being used for building backend layer. And each UI application for different BPM processes being deployed as a shared library and getting consumed in Workspace application. We hope to give users a very intuitive approach for interacting with firm's processes.

Can someone please guide us on how build this custom BPM workspace using REST apis for displaying task list, task forms etc?

Answers

• PedroGabriel
    PedroGabriel Member Posts: 244 Bronze Badge
    edited May 3, 2018 7:38AM

Hi,

I have already implemented this use case for a few customers.

Basically as you somehow pointed users are willing to use and access something more targeted for their business cases. For That reason, in all customers I have passed by they went to build their own custom workspace. Of course this took us more time to implement but the results were very good.

For that, I and two order colleagues, we have written an article to explain how we achieved it. On this article you can find some reference of the middleware used as well.

If you need more info please tell me so I can help you.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gabriel

• sebastianm
    sebastianm Member Posts: 4
    edited May 3, 2018 10:53AM

Hi,

In AVIO we've created custom workspaces for a couple of customers, using AngularJS together with a product we built that exposes the BPM APIs as REST APIs.

Customers are really happy with the custom workspace since it provides an enhanced user experience and usability. We were also able to provide things such as cross process/composite audit trail and improved features like bulk actions.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need more information.

Regards

Sebastian Marucci

edited May 4, 2018 12:39AM

Thanks Sebastian.

If you could please help with some introductory document of the architecture you used for consuming the BPM REST apis and security management between Custom Workspace application and other UI application because these are the 2 main blocking points for me.

edited May 4, 2018 12:46AM

Thanks Pedro for such a informative article but I am looking out for building a custom BPM workspace using Javascript framework like AngulasJS for building UI rather than ADF and BPM REST apis as backend

This discussion has been closed.