Forum Stats

• 3,770,340 Users
  • 2,253,097 Discussions
  • 7,875,408 Comments

Discussions

Neel help on the error: Invalid Sequence Flow:It connects a node located in the Main flow to a node

User_BHELO
User_BHELO Member Posts: 12 Red Ribbon
edited May 14, 2018 11:31AM in Business Process Management Suite

Dear All,
I am trying to introduce a workflow after a UserTask(associated to Human Task for approval) with Timer Event.

If the approver Review the Document in time, then it would go on the Main lane for further approval process.

If the approver does not approve in time(set at Timer Event), it should branch out and check if the approver has set his/her delegate, assign the task and send Escalation email to the delegate to approve.
However, i am getting this error "Invalid Sequence Flow:It connects a node located in the Main flow(Script Task1) to a node located in a Boundary Event flow(Review Document). What i understood from this error is that i can't re-join the Main Flow from the branch. Is there any alternative approach to rejoin the main Flow.

If I can't re-join the Main Flow, i will end up recreating the whole lot of further(after Review Document) workflow in the branch as duplicate which is another 75% of the workflow.

I am attaching screenshots about working work flow(Before_Vacation_Check.png) and the additional workflow(After_Vacation_Check.png) added that is throwing the error.

Can you please suggest alternative approaches to this?
Thanks,
Jagadish

Best Answer

• Dan Atwood
    Dan Atwood Member Posts: 2,313
    edited May 10, 2018 10:35AM Accepted Answer

I think it is a case of a really bad error message.

Your boundary timer event is non-interrupting (note the dotted line around it) and it cannot flow back to the main process flow.  If you change its property to instead be interrupting, I believe your error will go away.

If you really need it to be non-interrupting, I'd need the business case to come up with an alternative process model.

Answers

• Dan Atwood
    edited May 7, 2018 12:19PM

Don't know if this helps, but I think if you drag your "Script Task 1" Script activity down a little you might see that it is not connected in the sequence flow between the "Audit - Assigned" Call activity and the "Notify Reviewer" Service activity. 

• User_BHELO
    edited May 10, 2018 9:52AM

Thanks Dan. When I dragged "Script Task 1" Script the sequence is still intact. The connection was showing apparently double arrow. But when I expanded it shows the workflow is still intact.

I was checking in some videos in youtube for Timer, one of the video mentioned that whenever we extend a branch out of Timer(that is assosicated to UserTask), it has to lead to exit and it can't come back to main branch. It could be because of this reason it is throwing this error. This is just my assumption.

If that is the case, can you please give some workaround ideas to go back to main workflow?

Regards,

Jagadish

• Dan Atwood
    edited May 10, 2018 10:35AM Accepted Answer

I think it is a case of a really bad error message.

Your boundary timer event is non-interrupting (note the dotted line around it) and it cannot flow back to the main process flow.  If you change its property to instead be interrupting, I believe your error will go away.

If you really need it to be non-interrupting, I'd need the business case to come up with an alternative process model.

• User_BHELO
    edited May 14, 2018 11:31AM

Thanks Dan. I was unable to open the Boundary event via JDeveloper interface due to its inability to read the xpath and throwing error "Invalid Interval format". Please see attachment Invalid_interval_Format.png.

I opened the bpmn file and changed the attribute for "<boundaryEvent... " from cancelActivity="false" to cancelActivity="true".

That has removed the error "Invalid Sequence Flow..". Please see attachment Invalid_Sequence_Flow_error_Disappeared.png.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Jagadish.

This discussion has been closed.