• 2,262,394 Discussions
  • 7,900,734 Comments

Discussions

Migrate planning application from PBCS to EPM planning 11.1.2.4

DarshanJ
DarshanJ Member Posts: 9 Red Ribbon
edited May 29, 2018 10:13AM in Planning and Budgeting

Hi all,

We have developed planning application on PBCS and need to migrate same application metadata, forms, reports and data on Hyperion planning 11.1.2.4.

I tried to search documentation on that but as this is the rare case of migration (cloud to On prime) I could not find the documentation for this.

Can some one guide for this, is there anything to consider while migrating the application.

Thanks in advance,

Darshan

Tagged:

Answers

• JohnGoodwin
    JohnGoodwin Member Posts: 30,471 Blue Diamond
    edited May 22, 2018 9:17AM

There is not really a path to migrate from PBCS to on-premise due to the differences in functionality.

The best you can do is take a PBCS snapshot and try to import that using LCM, it may need some manipulation, don't expect it all to import, you will also probably need to handle the data differently because the cloud snapshot does not work in the same way as LCM on-premise

There is the option to export the metadata from the PBCS UI which should be in similar format to on-premise.

Cheers

John

DarshanJ
  • Phulsebosch
    Phulsebosch Member Posts: 775 Gold Badge
    edited May 22, 2018 9:48AM

Hello,

in Addition to what John said, there is a blog post of Cameron Lackpour "The compleat idiot's guide to PBCS, No. 5 -- Migrating from PBCS to On-Premises Planning".

http://camerons-blog-for-essbase-hackers.blogspot.de/2016/02/the-compleat-idiots-guide-to-pbcs-no-5-24.html

HTH

Regards,

Philip Hulsebosch

DarshanJ
  • JohnGoodwin
    edited May 22, 2018 9:57AM

And to add to that, the blog post was written before the change of how Essbase data was managed in snapshots, back then it was a text export, now it is a linux file system backup.

• DarshanJ
    edited May 23, 2018 7:38AM

Hey John,

Many thanks for quick reply,

I'll check and try these options and update here.

Thanks,

Darshan

• DarshanJ
    edited May 24, 2018 2:13AM

Hi Philip,

I tried to visit bog you mentioned but it seems that article is removed from there. I am getting below message.

Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist.

Thanks,

Darshan

• JohnGoodwin
    edited May 24, 2018 2:38AM

The link is Cameron's Blog For Essbase Hackers: The Compleat Idiot's Guide to PBCS, No. 5 -- Migrating from PBCS to On-Premises Plan…

Though be warned that it is over 2 years old and changes have happened in that time.

DarshanJ
  • DarshanJ
    edited May 29, 2018 3:34AM

Hi All,

So far I have followed the steps as below:-

1) I tried to import “application Settings” & “Application Definition” It gave me an error as below:-

DataSource error.png

2) To overcome this error I created planning datasource manually same as per the error (PlanningDatasource1) and that helped me out. But after that error got changed.

Multicurrency Erro.png

As there are only external users present in PBCS I tried to import that but it was throwing error only for some users as below:-

User error.png

3) Also, As per error in step 2 I changed value of “Multicurrency” setting in exported file (Application Definition.xpad) as below:-

1. Old value:-

Multicurrency error B4.jpg

b. Changed Value:-

Multicurrency error after.jpg

4) After this change I am able to import application settings successfully, and classic planning application got created. Now I am trying to import dimensions in the application, its throwing error as below:-

Dimension error.png

5) So as per the blog suggested I removed these headers (Column) from the “account” dimension, and tried to import only Account dimension again after that I got below error:-

Dimension error1.png

6) Previously while saving “Accounts.csv” file from excel, it added extra characters to the file. Such as extra space, double quotations, comma changed with tab.. etc.

After removing all these changes I retried to load account dimension and got below error:-

Dimension error2.png

So far I have reached till here, and have no clue ahead.

• Phulsebosch
    Phulsebosch Member Posts: 775 Gold Badge
    edited May 29, 2018 10:13AM

Hello Darshan,

as John already wrote: The blog is already 2 years old.

In other words, the PBCS structure has developed further. I had to migrate from on-premise to pbcs (so the other way around) and got a lot of issues, but was able to fix them.

My approach would be:

1. Import as much as you can with an application import.

2. Then do partial exports and imports. Think of dependencies, so first you need to get the dimensions right, then variables, then Business rules, then simple data forms etc.

Also take into consideration, what exists only on PBCS. So you can forget about Valid Intersections etc.

3. Rebuild by hand what does not work.

HTH

Regards,

Philip Hulsebosch

This discussion has been closed.