Forum Stats

• 3,855,199 Users
  • 2,264,473 Discussions
  • 7,905,928 Comments

Discussions

Whats the performance benefit of 2 CDB vs 1 CDB with multiple PDBs on single server.

User_MVJ1E
User_MVJ1E Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
edited Jul 30, 2018 3:54AM in Multitenant

I want to have 5 production PDBs and 5 corresponding test PDBs on a single machine.

#) 2 different CDB (prod & test) 

vs

#) 1 CDB with multiple PDBs (prod + test pdbs) .

Which will provide more benefit in terms of resource performance.

User_MVJ1E

Answers

• Unknown
    edited Jul 12, 2018 1:35PM

Use option #1 - don't even consider option #2

Your subject line is VERY misleading - I suggest you change it to match what you are REALLY asking about.

Perhaps something like 'should test and production PDBs be in the same CDB'.

The current subject line makes it seem like you are asking about whether 'production' PDBs should be split among multiple CDBs for performance reasons.

I want to have 5 production PDBs and 5 corresponding test PDBs on a single machine. Which will provide more benefit in terms of resource performance. 

That is what TESTING is for.

Only YOU know what workload each of those PDBs is expected to have. So there is no way we can advise you as to how, or if, you should split things up for performance reasons.

But you generally should NOT have non-production objects in a production database. They will get in the way of EVERYTHING - especially backup/recovery operations and performance related configuration changes to memory or init parameters.

The test and dev stuff shouldn't really even be on the same SERVER. The two main reasons for that are:

1. security - production typically needs radically different protection and access restrictions than either test or development

2. single point of failure - you can't take the server down for test/dev purposes without taking production down with it. Conversely, if you have a production outage you may find yourself without test/dev environments to deal with the problem.

User_MVJ1E
  • User_MVJ1E
    User_MVJ1E Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited Jul 30, 2018 3:54AM

Thanks for your suggestion. It cleared me now.

This discussion has been closed.