Forum Stats

• 3,722,119 Users
  • 2,244,225 Discussions
  • 7,849,643 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple GI Homes and multiple ASM instances on the same server

Tobba
Tobba Member Posts: 12 Blue Ribbon

Hi there,

I am facing a customer request in which he wants to have, on the same server, two Grid Infrastructure installations, each with its own ASM instance.

I cannot find anywhere some "official" statement about this. I mean, I know that it's possible, but not recommended. Has anyone had to deal with such thing? What about the support on this case?

Thanks!

Regards,

Bogdan

Tagged:

Answers

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,099 Employee
    edited July 2018

The only way to have multiple Grid Infra installations on the same server is by having some kind of virtualization. Otherwise - not possible.

Andris

• Tobba
    edited July 2018

Thanks, Andris! In our case, it's a physical server, with 2 DBs (one prod, one dev) sharing the same ASM instance. And they want to split them. I know that multiple ASM instances are possible within the same GI home, but we would need separate homes, because any ASM patching for dev (for example) would require downtime for prod also.

Is there any oracle documentation in which it is said that this is not possible, like you said above?

Many thanks again!

Regards,

Bogdan

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,099 Employee
    edited July 2018

Please show me the documentation that it is possible to have multiple ASM instances on the same server.

The best separation you can achieve on a server is to have separate ASM diskgroups for each database. But still, only one ASM instance per server.

• Gavin404
    Gavin404 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2018

Maybe you could use different grid owner、different asm sid and different asm_diskstring.

• Sunny kichloo
    Sunny kichloo Member Posts: 2,435 Gold Trophy
    edited July 2018

If for two ASM instance customer will have two different database it is better if you go with Single Instance ASM handling two different databases.

It would be better for manageability purpose.

• Tobba
    edited July 2018

But he has two different dbs using the same ASM instance That's the problem. Because one db is test, and the other is prod. And - let's take for example the case when we have to apply latest PSU to the test db => we have to apply it also on the Grid <=> we have to stop all the services => stop ASM instance => downtime for the prod db !!!

• User_0U44J
    User_0U44J Member Posts: 1

In the initial RAC (9i/10g) documentation. it is said that one server can have one ASM instance to support all instances. Same only one Grid/CRS can be installed on the sever. That grid version should be => rdbms version.

This discussion has been closed.