• 3,873,334 Users
  • 2,266,535 Discussions
  • 7,911,512 Comments

Discussions

T7-2 ilom cooling status to syslog

Jim Weber
Jim Weber Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
edited Jan 14, 2019 10:32AM in SPARC Servers

I would like to configure T7-2 server ilom's to send regular inlet & exhaust temps to syslog or to the os (solaris 11.4). Log entries are currently set to a remote syslog server but not temperature updates. Is it possible to do this?

Best Answer

• Nik
    Nik Blocked Member Posts: 2,879 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 8, 2019 6:16AM Answer ✓

Hi.

As one possible example:

Write short  shell script at Solaris:

- use /usr/sbin/prtdiag -v   for got temperature

- use awk/grep etc for prefer format output  (Combine message at  one line )

- use logger  for send message to syslog with required level and facility.

Schedule run this script as requierd via cron

Regards,

Nik

Jim Weber

Answers

• Nik
    Nik Blocked Member Posts: 2,879 Bronze Crown
    edited Jan 8, 2019 6:16AM Answer ✓

Hi.

As one possible example:

Write short  shell script at Solaris:

- use /usr/sbin/prtdiag -v   for got temperature

- use awk/grep etc for prefer format output  (Combine message at  one line )

- use logger  for send message to syslog with required level and facility.

Schedule run this script as requierd via cron

Regards,

Nik

Jim Weber
  • Jens
    Jens Member Posts: 91 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jan 9, 2019 12:36PM

Hi Jim,

I am not aware of means to periodically push the specific data to a remote location but as a workaround and as already suggested by Nik, you might retrieve (pull it) from the sp, either from a running os instance (see 'prtpicl -v -c temperature-sensor' for more data) or remote from another system using e.g. an ipmitool call (/sbin/ipmitool -H <SP> sensor get MB/T_OUTLET1) to the service processor to query all or specific sensor data.

Regards,

Jens

Jim Weber
  • Jim Weber
    Jim Weber Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited Jan 14, 2019 10:32AM

Hello NIK,

Thanks for the response, I eventfully found that the hwmgmtcli command will retrieve the Inlet and Exhaust tempuratures from the ilom, and I used a crontab entry like this to retrieve this to a log file.

10 * * * *hwmgmtcli list cooling -d | grep "Inlet Temperature" >> /var/adm/temperature.log

These two stats are then sent to Splunk for any alerting we want to develop.

Thanks Again