• 2,264,229 Discussions
  • 7,905,376 Comments

Discussions

Discoverer public vs private reports?

LuckyLizard
LuckyLizard Member Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
edited Feb 8, 2019 2:48PM in Discoverer

Hello,

I am admittedly very unfamiliar with Discoverer.  I have only used it to the level of clicking on other people's reports and seeing the output.  I am part of a team that is tasked with converting Discoverer reports to OBIEE.  My effort lies more with the development of the OBIEE environment and we are running into some questions about how to provide a similar environment to what the users are used to.  We need to find ways of reporting on what currently is set up and validating we have successfully provided similar function.

I understand that some reports are private while others are public and that even the administrator cannot see the private reports, only the user can when they log on (or anyone they have shared them with).  Is this correct?

Do you have any idea how I can identify what reports are public and what reports are private from the underlying tables?  I know they are undocumented and it is difficult to get much information about them.  I was hoping someone in this forum may be able to help me.

I have gathered the list of workbooks/worksheets and when they were last run as well as a report of the workbooks and who they are shared with.  One last question... when you share a report, are you sharing the workbook or a worksheet.  It looks to me like you share an entire workbook.

Clearly I haven't used Discoverer so I appreciate any information you can offer.  I'm having a very difficult time searching for this information online.

Thank you.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LuckyLizard
    edited Feb 5, 2019 2:12PM Answer ✓

Unfortunately, we are in a "keep it alive" stage and making changes like installing the status workbooks does not appear to be something we can get authorized.  We seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel, by trying to generate the same information on our own.  I have queries to gather the sharing information, which is great. 

As for the public vs private issue... it appears a lot of our users have chosen multiple ways to share their reports.  Some people have shared with individuals, some have shared with a role, some with a combination and some have selected every user and every role defined in the database (yikes!).  It appears the roles are what was creating our "public" reports.

I guess the follow up question of the hour is... is there any way to get access to the users personal reports (those not shared with a "public" role)?  If not, I think we will be forced to create a role for the conversion team and as all the users to share all of the reports they want converted with this new role.  Then we should have access.  Do you know of any other way to gain access?

Thank you so much!

Answers

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Feb 5, 2019 12:45PM

Hi,

The share is done on the Workbook.  All worksheets in the workbook are available to whom ever it was shared.

You are correct, the underlying EUL tables are not documented.  However, take a look at EUL Status Workbooks.  This will tell you what workbooks saved to the DB are shared and with whom.  You can also see any statistics regarding the workbook or worksheet.  Use the provided workbooks as a guide to creating a report specific to your needs.  This will not assist if any one uses Discoverer Desktop and saved the workbook on their PC.

Information regarding the Business Area and Workbooks, see the Discoverer Administration Guide, chapter 19 "EUL Status Workbooks".
      https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28280_01/bi.1111/b32519/eul_status.htm#BIDAG739

There are two different SQLs provided.  One for Standard (users connect with a Database user) and one for Apps Mode (users connect with EBS user).  Be sure to execute the correct SQL or you may encounter issues.

Regards,

Sharon

• LuckyLizard
    edited Feb 5, 2019 2:12PM Answer ✓

Unfortunately, we are in a "keep it alive" stage and making changes like installing the status workbooks does not appear to be something we can get authorized.  We seem to be trying to reinvent the wheel, by trying to generate the same information on our own.  I have queries to gather the sharing information, which is great. 

As for the public vs private issue... it appears a lot of our users have chosen multiple ways to share their reports.  Some people have shared with individuals, some have shared with a role, some with a combination and some have selected every user and every role defined in the database (yikes!).  It appears the roles are what was creating our "public" reports.

I guess the follow up question of the hour is... is there any way to get access to the users personal reports (those not shared with a "public" role)?  If not, I think we will be forced to create a role for the conversion team and as all the users to share all of the reports they want converted with this new role.  Then we should have access.  Do you know of any other way to gain access?

Thank you so much!

• sbeck-Oracle
    sbeck-Oracle Member Posts: 116 Employee
    edited Feb 5, 2019 3:18PM

I think your idea about having the owners share the workbooks with a specific user who is doing the conversion would work the best. It is possible to Export the workbooks using Discoverer Administration edition, import into a new "test" EUL.  But this is not as simple.

Regards,

Sharon