How to configure Reverse DNS for mail server configurations? — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,682,052 Users
  • 2,238,174 Discussions
  • 7,831,736 Comments

Discussions

How to configure Reverse DNS for mail server configurations?

38477393847739 Posts: 1
edited September 10 in Dyn Community

Query as below:

I deployed an Instance over the Oracle cloud also established our demo email server, I need to registered Reverse DNS according to below details, just let me know What would be the process & how I can register self?

IP - 132.145.147.244  to be point  pmspost.com

Kindly advise the best possible way to proceed. Thanks.

Tagged:
Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Best Answer

• RotBlitzRotBlitz Posts: 132 Red Ribbon
    edited April 2019 Accepted Answer

@3847739

PTR records for IP addresses can be maintained only by the owner of the IP address.  In case this 132.145.147.244 is a static IP address, you refer to the owner of it, usually your ISP, and request to create a PTR record for it, pointing at your domain.

For more detailed information see https://help.dyn.com/setting-up-reverse-dns/

Michael.R.Taylor-OracleMichael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Answers

• 42687454268745 Posts: 1
    edited June 11

Hello, I cross by this answer because I am in exactly same position "I deployed an Instance over the Oracle cloud also established our demo email server, I need to registered Reverse DNS to be able to send mail without be bblocked or considered as a spamer"

As I am using oracle cloud instante as my mail server ( I suppose that oracle is the ISP).How can I registered Reverse DNS (I tried oracle documentation but didn't find anything related)

• RotBlitzRotBlitz Posts: 132 Red Ribbon
    edited June 16

I'm not an expert on OCI, but who or what tells you that you need Reverse DNS?  If this Oracle Cloud instance appears with a static IP address, then I see no need to have a Reverse DNS entry.  Your mail will not be blocked or considered spam.

Further, with using OCI you are better to use email delivery (https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Email/Concepts/overview.htm) for sending email.

• Michael.R.Taylor-OracleMichael.R.Taylor-Oracle Posts: 252 Employee
    edited June 16

Hi @4268745,

Here is the documentation for setting up reverse DNS zones using OCI DNS - https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/DNS/Tasks/reversedns.htm?Highlight=email%20delivery%20reverse%20dns

If you have a link for the documentation you are reading that says you need to set up reverse DNS I'd love for you to share it.

Mike

Oracle + Dyn

• 43225664322566 Posts: 5
    edited September 9

Sorry for stepping into this discussion, but since I'm in the same situation I'll add what I know. There are some mail providers, for example Tiscali, that block emails coming from mail servers for which there isn't a PTR record. This is the reason why I'm trying to set up a PTR record for my mail server. Now I just tried configuring the records using Oracle's DNS service, I'll let you know if this works. I didn't find any documentation regarding PTR records from Oracle's IPs too.

• 43225664322566 Posts: 5
    edited September 10

I tried setting the PTR record inside Oracle's DNS service and I can confirm that doesn't work. Out of frustration I created a free mail account for my project and gave up, for now, the idea to have a personal mail server. If I'll try again in the future, I'll use Google Cloud or Digitalocean, I saw that both have documentation that explains how to set up a PTR record to their IPs.