Forum Stats

• 3,722,464 Users
  • 2,244,317 Discussions
  • 7,849,851 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to configure Reverse DNS for mail server configurations?

3847739 Member Posts: 1
edited September 2020 in Dyn Community

Query as below:

I deployed an Instance over the Oracle cloud also established our demo email server, I need to registered Reverse DNS according to below details, just let me know What would be the process & how I can register self?

IP - 132.145.147.244  to be point  pmspost.com

Kindly advise the best possible way to proceed. Thanks.

Tagged:
Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle

Best Answer

Answers

• RotBlitz
    RotBlitz Member Posts: 149 Red Ribbon
    edited April 2019 Accepted Answer

@3847739

PTR records for IP addresses can be maintained only by the owner of the IP address.  In case this 132.145.147.244 is a static IP address, you refer to the owner of it, usually your ISP, and request to create a PTR record for it, pointing at your domain.

For more detailed information see https://help.dyn.com/setting-up-reverse-dns/

Michael.R.Taylor-OracleMichael.R.Taylor-Oracle
    4268745 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020

Hello, I cross by this answer because I am in exactly same position "I deployed an Instance over the Oracle cloud also established our demo email server, I need to registered Reverse DNS to be able to send mail without be bblocked or considered as a spamer"

As I am using oracle cloud instante as my mail server ( I suppose that oracle is the ISP).How can I registered Reverse DNS (I tried oracle documentation but didn't find anything related)

• RotBlitz
    RotBlitz Member Posts: 149 Red Ribbon
    edited June 2020

I'm not an expert on OCI, but who or what tells you that you need Reverse DNS?  If this Oracle Cloud instance appears with a static IP address, then I see no need to have a Reverse DNS entry.  Your mail will not be blocked or considered spam.

Further, with using OCI you are better to use email delivery (https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Email/Concepts/overview.htm) for sending email.

• Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle
    Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle Posts: 255 Employee
    edited June 2020

Hi @4268745,

Here is the documentation for setting up reverse DNS zones using OCI DNS - https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/DNS/Tasks/reversedns.htm?Highlight=email%20delivery%20reverse%20dns

If you have a link for the documentation you are reading that says you need to set up reverse DNS I'd love for you to share it.

Mike

Oracle + Dyn

4322566 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2020

Sorry for stepping into this discussion, but since I'm in the same situation I'll add what I know. There are some mail providers, for example Tiscali, that block emails coming from mail servers for which there isn't a PTR record. This is the reason why I'm trying to set up a PTR record for my mail server. Now I just tried configuring the records using Oracle's DNS service, I'll let you know if this works. I didn't find any documentation regarding PTR records from Oracle's IPs too.

4322566 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2020

I tried setting the PTR record inside Oracle's DNS service and I can confirm that doesn't work. Out of frustration I created a free mail account for my project and gave up, for now, the idea to have a personal mail server. If I'll try again in the future, I'll use Google Cloud or Digitalocean, I saw that both have documentation that explains how to set up a PTR record to their IPs.