Discussions

ZFS appliance

Robeen
Robeen Member Posts: 2,175 Silver Badge
edited Jun 14, 2019 7:54AM in ZFS Storage Appliance

Oracle Database 18c

Solaris

Hello Team,

I am planning to deploy my production environment on ZS7-2 and 2 T8-2 servers for RAC.

pastedImage_0.png

Given that there is only 1 ZS7-2 storage, replication would therefore be local - the only option left since I will using features such as HCC and OISP for datawarehousing. In this scenario this single ZS7-2 appliance acts BOTH as source and target for storage projects being replicated. From a DR perspective it would not be wise to have the secondary storage on the same single ZS7-2 which also has the production storage.

1. Please advise on the probability of the ZS7-2 failing.

2. Kindly advise on other features of the ZS7-2 which would be an advantage for datawarehouse.

3. Do you advise me to do the storage replication by mirroring the disks given that there is only 1 storage?

Thanks,

Joe

Tagged:
Ramt-Oracle

Answers

• Cindys-Oracle
    Cindys-Oracle Posts: 822 Employee
    edited Jun 12, 2019 1:30PM

Hi Robeen,

ZFS Storage Appliances are designed to provide 5 nines of uptime. Our solution offers full component redundancy (clustered controllers, boot drives, dual power supplies, network fabric, storage, and path redundancy). Includes data storage redundancy options (mirrored and raidz[1-3]). Controllers can also be configured with No Single Point of Failure (NSPF).

However, your production storage system (as you describe) is vulnerable to power failures, water damage, and natural disasters. A mirrored configuration provides data/storage redundancy but is not storage replication and doesn't provide complete protection from external events. Even with a clustered configuration, production systems are generally protected by offsite DR replication and backup/recovery solutions. Can you describe your backup strategy?

Data warehouse OLTP workloads benefit from a mirrored configuration and write SSDs. Specific details are provided in the

Best Practices for Online Transactional Processing (OLTP) Type Workloads in MOS Doc: Guidelines When Using ZFS Storage in an Exadata Environment (Doc ID 2087231.1). Even though this isn't an Exadata environment, the DWH configuration recommendations still apply.

Thanks, Cindy

• Robeen
    Robeen Member Posts: 2,175 Silver Badge
    edited Jun 14, 2019 7:54AM

Hi Cindy,

thanks for the update.

The backup strategy is a full backup once  a week followed by incremental backups(Incrementally update backup strategy).

Initially, we planned to provision our datawarehouse on an OceanStore storage. We were planning to setup an Active Dataguard between site Rose-Hill and site Rose-Belle. Also, we would setup an extended rac stretched cluster for MAA architecture.

1. Please advise which one is better to use(in terms of performance and stability etc..) - Solaris servers on ZFS storage or E9000 servers on Oceanstor storage? Given that there will be only 1 ZFS storage, I think the initial setup would be best for an MAA.

2. I have checked the note above. Initially I was planning to provision my servers with the requirements belowpastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

Could you please advise if I can provision with same specs @ site Rose Hill if I plan to use ZFS? Here, there will be no replication.

3. How can I include the backup controller?

4. The Oracle Note says 'Tier 1'. Is it NVME?

Thanks,

Robbeen