• 2,253,014 Discussions
  • 7,875,158 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Database Gateway and Oracle Messaging Gateway

Swaminathan
Swaminathan Member Posts: 29 Blue Ribbon
edited Jun 5, 2019 1:13PM in Advanced Queueing

Dear all,
I have received a requirement to read from and write into IBM Websphere Messaging Queue.
When I was researching, I found two options like Oracle Database Gateway and Oracle Messaging Gateway.
Can you help/guide me to understand the purpose of these two options and which suits the requirement ?

Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards
Swami

Answers

• L. Fernigrini
    L. Fernigrini Data Engineer Sr Consultant Member Posts: 3,670 Silver Crown
    edited Jun 4, 2019 10:46AM

Oracle Database Gateway products allow you to connect from an Oracle Database to another data source (SQL Server, DB2, or even Access or Excel files) as if they were other Oracle DB.

While Message Gateway allows you to communicate with other message queue technologies:

• Messaging Gateway propagates messages between Oracle Database Advanced Queuing and non-Oracle messaging systems. Messages sent by Oracle Database Advanced Queuing applications can be received by non-Oracle messaging system applications. Conversely, messages published by non-Oracle messaging system applications can be consumed by Oracle Database Advanced Queuing applications.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/adque/omg-introduction.html#GUID-B29354DB-6C53-4F22-B3FC-F… 

• Swaminathan
    edited Jun 4, 2019 12:22PM

Thanks Fernigrini for your response.

I found the below in the one of the oracle links. Does this mean we can use Oracle Database Gateway to read and write into MQ ? Could you please help me to understand ?

Gateway Operation

An application submits a PL/SQL call to an Oracle database

• The database passes the call via Oracle Net to the Oracle Database Gateway for WebSphere MQ request
    • The response to the request is retrieved from the WebSphere MQ queue and returned to the requesting application

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/gateways/pg4mq-168345.html

Thanks

Swami

• mxallen-Oracle
    mxallen-Oracle Member Posts: 342 Employee
    edited Jun 5, 2019 7:50AM

Swami,

The short answer is yes.

However, Oracle Messaging Gateway might meet your needs as well.

There is a separate community for Messaging Gateway -

asking your question there might provide additional insight

Also, the Database Gateway product will require the purchase of a separate license.

Regards,

Matt

• Swaminathan
    edited Jun 5, 2019 12:39PM

Thanks Matt.

As you suggested, I will post this to AQ community.

Warm Regards

Swami