• 3,727,847 Users
  • 2,245,474 Discussions
  • 7,853,068 Comments

Discussions

Does Latest BIOS support 5600 Cpu's on X4270 M1

4063717 Member Posts: 27
edited November 2019 in Oracle x86 Servers

hello.

I have purchased an old X4270 M1 server for a hobby project.

An Ebay purchase, but was told to be working.

I can login to ILOM and see no faults with the unit, but can not get it to show a BIOS boot screen when powered on. it never gets a solid green power light.

I have check all the hardware and it looks great. but in doing so, found Xeon 5650's in it. all the Docs say this server only supports 5500 cpu's.

did a later BIOS update add support for the 5650's?

or did someone try to upgrade it, fail and just flog it off?

any help would be appreciated.

the SP says no P0,P1 fault. it says ok....

also, could the onboard display be disabled/ faulty?

current ILOM version is 3.0.6.10.

ClaudiuO-Oracle4063717

Answers

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    ClaudiuO-Oracle Member Posts: 49 Employee
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Welcome to the community! Thank you for your post. May I also suggest you change your display name from the default to something more user friendly. See details here: https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-1022508

Regarding your issue, that is an interesting story, the only CPU's certified to be installed on the Sun Fire X4270 server as per Oracle System Handbook (https://support.oracle.com/handbook_private/Systems/SunFireX4270/components.html#CPUModule ) are:

2.93GHz Intel Quad-Core Xeon X5570, 8MB, 95W

2.80GHz Intel Quad-Core Xeon X5560, 8MB, 95W

2.53GHz Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5540, 8MB, 80W

2.26GHz Intel Quad-Core Xeon L5520, 8MB, 60W

2.26GHz Intel Quad-Core Xeon E5520, 8MB, 80W

Therefor the Xeon 5650 is not on the list.

The firmware upgrade won't help here, you could try to upgrade to the latest available: Patch 28398445: X4170 SW 2.8.1 - ILOM AND BIOS which contains Oracle ILOM 3.2.11.20.b and BIOS 07.06.03.20 but I don't think it will help.

The Xeon X56** series is available for the M2 version of Sun Fire X4*70.

Out of curiosity can you please provide me the following outputs from SP?

-> show /SYS

-> show /SYS//MB/P0

-> show /SYS//MB/P1

Regarding your last question (also, could the onboard display be disabled/ faulty?) you can monitor the server boot process using the serial console or the Java Remote console (start /SP/console after powering on the system with start /SYS or launch Redirection from ILOM web interface, Remote control tab)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Claudiu

MOSC Community Moderator

edited August 2019

well ,apart for all the targets at the top and commands at the bottom, the outputs are as follows.

show /SYS gave

Properties:

type = Host System

ipmi_name = /SYS

product_name = SUN FIRE X4270 SERVER

product_part_number = 602-4665-02

product_serial_number = 0921XF700C

product_manufacturer = SUN MICROSYSTEMS

fault_state = OK

clear_fault_action = (none)

power_state = Off

show /SYS/MB/P0 gave

Properties:

type = Host Processor

ipmi_name = MB/P0

fault_state = OK

and show /SYS/MB/P1 gave

Properties:

type = Host Processor

ipmi_name = MB/P1

fault_state = OK

when i said i checked the hardware, i meant i removed, cleaned, reseated and added new thermal paste the the CPU's. they are marked 5650's

but when i type start /SYS, i get the fast flash of power led, but no image on my screen.

ClaudiuO-Oracle
  • ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

The server was originally shipped with X5570 CPU's which means that someone at some point in time has tried to perform an upgrade, to make it more complicated Sun/Oracle never sold this type of CPU Intel Xeon X5650 in X64 systems as per my findings, so we don't have any experience if this would actually work or not in a certified configuration.

The show /SYS/MB/Px output should look like this:

Properties:

type = Host Processor

ipmi_name = MB/P0

fru_name = Intel(R) Xeon (R) CPU           X5650 @ 2.66GHz

fru_version = **

fru_part_number = ****

fault_state = OK

The 4170/4270 architecture is based on Intel Tylersburg-EP Platform supporting Nehalem-EP Processor while 4170M2/4270M2 introduced the Intel’s Westmere-EP CPU

I've seen a lot of similar servers on eBay with X56** series and they all seem custom configured systems.

Have you tried using the serial console or the java remote console instead of the VGA port to see the boot process?

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

could the "fru" lines be part of a later ILOM firmware?

i don't have a serial cable, but will look into buying/making one, so i haven't tried watching the boot process that way. (wouldn't that be so slow? or is it a text based boot sequence?)

however, i have tried to bring up ILOM via web browser in order to try that, but all i get is:

Access Error

Site or Page Not Found

Cannot open URL

however, the web address line has "home.asp" after the IP address, so it has found the server, just not the ILOM page.

i'm wondering if i have a corrupt BIOS/ILOM....

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

No, the fru lines should be visible even on the current firmware.

You don't necessarily need a serial cable unless you want to see the boot sequence of the SP (called U-boot). When you are connected to the SP via network management port, you start the system (start /SYS) and after that type start /SP/console so you can watch the boot sequence (POST) over the serial console, if you want to see it on graphical mode then you need to start it from web interface (enter ip of the ILOM or hostname) in a web browser making sure that the http/https services are enabled in ILOM (/SP/services/http(s)) and launch the remote redirection from Remote control tab.

There is a small chance to have a corrupted / partially flashed firmware.

Can you share please the following outputs:

-> version

-> show /SYS/MB/BIOS

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

version gives:

SP firmware 3.0.6.10

SP firmware build number: 48729

SP firmware date: Mon Sep 28 21:20:33 EDT 2009

SP filesystem version: 0.1.22

and show /SYS/MB/BIOS gives:

Properties:

type = BIOS

ipmi_name = MB/BIOS

show /SP/services/http gives:

Properties:

port = 80

secureredirect = disabled

servicestate = enabled

yet i get that "access error" i said before. when going to my server via web browser.

however, for the first time... (must have typed it quick enough)

when i ran start /SYS, then Start /SP/console i got DIMM slot info pop up. then it hangs.

i really feel i need to buy a couple of 5570's and try again. I've found them for $24 on ebay for the pair. out of China though...

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Show /SYS/MB/BIOS should have sown the BIOS version, example:

/SYS/MB/BIOS

Targets:

Properties:

type = BIOS

ipmi_name = MB/BIOS

fru_name = SYSTEM BIOS

fru_description = SYSTEM BIOS

fru_manufacturer = AMERICAN MEGATRENDS

fru_version = 07060315

fru_part_number = AMIBIOS8

in your case it is not, so at this stage I would go for a firmware reflash (same firmware version) or upgrade to the latest revision as the fru information is not displayed properly on multiple targets (see CPU as well)

Http is indeed enabled, what about https?

About the POST hanging at the DIMM initialization / count you could strip the system to minimum configuration (one DIMM per each CPU as per DIMM population rules), this is an indicator that something is wrong (CPU has the memory controller embedded in it) in this case the memory could not initialize properly due to the incorrect CPU's installed, poorly seated or defect DIMM's etc.

I don't know what to say about the products bought from ebay, there is a risk for each purchase.

I hope the above helps.

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

scratch that. just bought 2 from Victoria. so i can test further in a few days.

ClaudiuO-Oracle
  • ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

Yes, you have been very helpful. my only problem now is getting a copy of the firmware that is installed to reflash it. since it's behind a pay wall.

i have to call about it, but suspect it will cost more than it's worth.

i will keep my fingers crossed that when i talk to Oracle, they may be willing to email me the currently installed version for free. but i doubt it...

will let you know how i go.

for me, it is now good night.

thanks for you help. Appreciate it.

ClaudiuO-Oracle
  • ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

I am glad that I could help.

For the firmware part I am afraid you are right.

Have a good night,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

forgot to say.

https is enabled. and ssl is using the defaults.

ClaudiuO-Oracle
  • ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

That is good, so you should have access to the web interface with no problems, unless you have some ports blocked by firewall (depending on your setup).

You could alternatively try to make a back-to-back connection with your laptop using a network cable and give it a try.

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

unfortunately, that's not happening. i can't get anymore that the access error thru my browser. even with my AV and Firewall disabled.

i will try the new CPU's and try again when they arrive.

I'm just hoping Oracle will either send me the current firmware free or allow a one time buy to re-flash it.

calling them now.

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

You can try to reset the SP (-> reset /SP) as on low firmware level it has the tendency to hang and stop some services and try again.

Good luck with the firmware part!

Best regards,

Claudiu

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Have you managed to solve something with the firmware?

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

i called the support line. they have passed my details onto ACS for a one time assist. waiting for them to call me back.

not sure if they can help yet, without it costing a ridiculous amount for a single download. will let you know.

As for the cpu's, they have been posted.

i haven't tried to reset the SP, as i have fully powered it down between hardware checks. so i don't think it's hanging a service out to dry....

i may have to do a full reset to factory, and try it again after the correct CPU's are installed.

ClaudiuO-Oracle
  • ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Thank you for the reply.

I am curious as well about the cost of an one time download of the firmware.

If you have removed also the power cords that counts as a cold power cycle of the SP and it is more efficient than a reset SP.

If you will do the reset to factory defaults you will need a serial cable to reconfigure the ILOM from scratch as the current IP address and all other settings will be lost...

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

so, some good news and some not so good news....

The good.

i received the X5570 cpu's this morning and installed them.

i now have a bios boot screen. i have configured the BIOS, and the RAID and have a running version of Ubuntu 16.04 installed.

Winner!! haha.

The not so good.

still only get the 'Access Error' from ILOM when i access it via browser. so i would still like to re-flash the firmware in case of some corruption...

The bad...

called Oracle again about the one time support as i had not received anything back from them.

it's been 2 days and i have not heard back from them again. I have even asked what the support cost would be and they have not got back to me with a price... not a very good showing.

i'll give it a few more days and call them again. Obviously, they don't want to make money....if they are ignoring their possible customers....

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

That is good that you've managed to solve the CPU issue, seems that the server is functional with the supported configuration as you have managed to install the OS.

Can you show me the 'Access Error' (screenshot) maybe I could help you out with that...

What did Oracle told you over the phone when you've called them?

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

Capture.JPG

This is standard HTTP. HTTPS just refuses connection.

however, i have secure re-direction enabled in the SP.

if it helps, i only have the root login active at this time for the SP.

thank you for all your help.

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Thanks for the information.

Usually the connection times out if the http/https has the service state disabled.

Are you using a switch/router in between your laptop/workstation and the server?

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

no, the server and the computer i am trying to log in with are on the same network/subnet.

i can bring up my Dell, and my 2 HP server's no problems. just not the Sun.

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited August 2019

Hello 4063717,

Thanks for the reply, according to what you've just told me if I understood correctly you have a switch in the network which allows you to connect to multiple servers.

Can you please try a direct connection to the network management port by inserting an IP from the same class on your laptop (10.1.1.18 for example with the same subnet as the SP) using a normal ethernet cable and let me know if the web interface is working?

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited August 2019

I have the x4270 network management port plugged into a switch. Same with all my systems on my home setup. All permanently connected computers have static IP's for their management ports and their network ports. I connect using putty to the IP assigned to the SP management port without issue. It's when I try to connect to it using a browser that it gives that error.

I will try with a crossover cable direct to my laptop, and let you know.

However, as it sees the home.asp file as the first to load from that IP, I feel it is finding ILOM, but the data is corrupted.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I go.