Forum Stats

• 3,769,837 Users
  • 2,253,027 Discussions
  • 7,875,220 Comments

Discussions

with the 13.3.2 DB plug-in, the database target Top Activity option under the Performance menu is no

sean4938
sean4938 Member Posts: 3 Red Ribbon
edited Sep 20, 2019 4:48AM in Enterprise Manager

Hi,

After patching Our 13.3 Cloud Control with "EM DATABASE BUNDLE PATCH 13.3.2.0.190630 OMS Side System Patch 29893547", we noticed that Top Activity is no longer available.  According to Note "Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Database Plugin 13.3.2.0 Bundle Patch Bug List (Doc ID 2554474.1)", this is by design.  This is very disappointing as Top Activity was our go-to page for database performance.  The ASH Analytics page is very clunky and does not give the detail we need, like the username for top sessions for example!  I hope they bring back Top Activity or improve the ASH Analytics page.

You can use this URL to still get to the page.

STATIC TOP ACTIVITY URL:

https://<OEM Hostname>:<ConsolePort>/em/faces/sdk/nonFacesWrapper?target=<DB_TARGET_NAME>&_em.coBM=%2Fconsole%2Fdatabase%2Finstance%2FwaitDetails%3F_em.coIFR%3Dtrue%26event%3DdoLoad%26target%3D<DB_TARGET_NAME>%26type%3Doracle_database%26datasource%3DSQL%26waitClass%3DOverview&type=oracle_database

Is Top Activity used often by other members of the community?

Sean

sean4938Martin WingelaarJaco P.

Answers

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Aug 21, 2019 12:23PM

Hi Sean,

It is not with the OMS Side Patchset, But with 13.3.2 DB Plugin itself this TOP Activity option was removed.

It was replaced by Performance Hub.

For now the static page is not removed, but the page was not removed. So this is still accessible in FLASH and not in JET.

If you have feedback on Top Activity removal & the issues you have in picking the date form ASH analytics & SQL Monitoring, please share them.

Can share them to the internal teams.

Thanks,
    Venkat

• sean4938
    edited Aug 21, 2019 1:16PM

Top Activity is a nice page that gives you the current snapshot of the activity in your database for the past hour.  The Active Sessions Graph nicely displays the number of active sessions with the wait classes.  It is scaled to CPU Cores/Active Sessions. Top SQL shows you the Activity with Wait Class, the SQL ID, and SQL Type for the selected 5 minute interval.  The Top Sessions shows you the Top Sessions for the selected five minute interval.  It shows the Activity % with Wait Class for the Session. It also shows the Session ID, User Name, and the Client Program.

ASH Analytics is not as user friendly.  There are two charts to show the same data as Top Activity did.  The scaling of the top chart does not show activity clearly as we have a large number of CPUs compared to active sessions.  The top chart cannot be scaled. In the Average Active Session char, I have to remove the scaling for CPU and Threads for Active Sessions, setting it to None.  Then I get a usable chart that shows some relation to the Active Sessions.  The Active Sessions chart very blocky and the smoothed out graph of Top Activity was much nicer.  In SQL ID by Wait Class, the table layout is much larger (Using Firefox on Linux) so I can’t see all the SQL.  SQL Type is not displayed.  In the User Session by Wait Class, the username and program are not displayed, only the SID:SERIAL#.  The Username is more meaningful than the SID:SERIAL#.  Again, much larger table layout so cannot see all the sessions.

Jaco P.
  • Dave_Hendriks
    Dave_Hendriks Member Posts: 4 Red Ribbon
    edited Sep 19, 2019 10:16AM

Hi Venkat,

same problem and frustrations here. We had to upgrade the database plugin to 13.3.2 because of the fleet maintenance cleanup job bug (only 1 job was possible per minute).

Now we have no more Top Activity page, while it is still there because you can get to it manually (by using an URL).

The other problem is logged in as sys on a 12.2 database the Ash Analytics page shows nothing. That is because there is an INHERIT PRIVILEGE problem. Fixing that, it only show the top graph with slider.

The other graphs stay empty. Logged a SR for this, but i still can get it who just gets rid of a page which is THE overview of database performance concerning user sessions. Just unbelievable.

Kind regards,

Dave

sean4938Gabriel-TVD
  • Dave_Hendriks
    edited Sep 19, 2019 10:31AM

Hi Sean,

Oracle support came up with the following trick:

emctl set property -sysman_pwd <sysman_pwd> -name oracle.sysman.db.ena_flash.perf_home -value true

emctl set property -sysman_pwd <sysman_pwd> -name oracle.sysman.db.ena_flash.ash_anlyt -value true

emctl set property -sysman_pwd <sysman_pwd> -name oracle.sysman.db.ena_flash.sql_mon -value true

If you run that on your main OMS and restart your EM13c browser session, you get the old pages for the performance home, ash analytics and sql monitor pages. The menu item Top Activity is not back, but it can be accessed thourhg the Performance Home page.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dave

edited Sep 19, 2019 10:38AM

Hi Sean,

I have collected the feedback from multiple customers through communities and from my blog and shared them with the Product Management.

They are trying hard to enhance the Performance Hub in such a way that you will get this all the missing details updated slowly.

I am sure we are seeing some issues with the ASH Analytics page loading and graphs and also some issues with the IE browser.

But all are being worked and in next few patch releases & product release we are going to get all of them implemented.

The moto behind Performance Hub (ASH Analytics + SQL Monitoring) is you should not go any where other then this to validate DB Performance issues.

Best Regards,

Venkat

edited Sep 19, 2019 10:43AM

Hi Dave,

Yes these commands were provided as of now. This helps you to validate / compare the things with the new JET pages with the old FLASH Pages.

And these are available only for 3 mainly used pages i.e. Performance Home, Ash Analytics & SQL Monitoring..

So currently in the back end the Flash pages are completely not removed.

In the similar way for Top Activity page we still can navigate it through the static link as mentioned in the following document:

EM 13c: Enterprise Manager 13c Cloud Control Top Activity Page is not Available (Doc ID 2528627.1)

Best Regards,
    Venkat

edited Sep 19, 2019 10:46AM

Hi Sean,

For the ASH Analytics currently the DBSNMP case is covered. You can go through the following document:

Usage Of ASH Analytics In EM 13.3 PG Release (Doc ID 2580773.1)

But using the SYS to monitor, there are some restrictions which needs to be taken care and internal teams are already working on it.

This package install is one time job.

Best Regards,

Venkat

• sean4938
    edited Sep 19, 2019 10:48AM

Thanks Dave!

Setting the properties to enable flash seems like a short term workaround. They seem to be working on removing flash.  It will at least keep us happier for now.

Sean

• Dave_Hendriks
    edited Sep 20, 2019 4:48AM

No problem, i had some furious reactions myself (and my team) when this page was gone. For now we are good, so in conversation with Oracle how the new ASH Analytics page can give me the same view as the Top Activity did. For now we experience problems with 12.2 databases, we only see the top graphic (with slider) the rest is empty.

Martin Wingelaar