• 3,727,834 Users
  • 2,245,473 Discussions
  • 7,853,055 Comments

Discussions

a reliable support person

4063717 Member Posts: 27
edited September 2019 in Oracle x86 Servers

Hello.

Anyone got the name and email of a reliable support person?

As in, someone that actually gets back to you when they say they will?

twice i have inquired about a support contract for a server i own and twice i have supplied the details required and was told "i'll get the details and email you back"

as yet both support persons have failed to get back to me... it's been weeks....

Best Answer

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    ClaudiuO-Oracle Member Posts: 49 Employee
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer

Hello 4063717,

When you reached out to Oracle to ask for their help did they provide you with any reference # in regards to your request so you can track it?

Advanced Customer Support (ACS) team which handles this type of request do not have a short response time usually until the purchase order is provided to end user.

Old Sun equipment as this one (released when Sun Microsystems was still in charge) is subject to Oracle support policies now and there is no workaround when it comes to handling support contracts.

The 'dark side' of the internet is filled with leaked information form official sources (firmware included), there are people out there which could be able to help you especially if they have an active support contract with Oracle and can download firmware...

eg:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/sunfire-x4170-firmware/114738

https://taicricreara.tk/education/sun-fire-x4270-firmware.php

Best regards,

Claudiu

Answers

edited August 2019

I might point out, i really don't want to buy a support contract. what i want is a copy of the ILOM firmware for a X4270 M1 server.

Don't even want the latest version, would be happy to get a copy of the version that's in my server now. 3.0.6.10.

but, i have inquired about the cost of a contract and can't even get them to take my money......

• Nik
    Nik Member Posts: 2,747 Bronze Crown
    edited August 2019

Hi.

It's Oracle....

Current Oracle's support policy:

- Oracle does not carry out one-time repairs

- Support mus be continuous.

- For return to support you must pay fine : 150% of standart support for all missed period.

- Any update ( include FW)  can be provided only for system covered by service contract.

All policy published at:  https://www.oracle.com/support/policies.html

So nothing to tell you from Oracle ( IMHO).

Before play any game - check rules.  Do not  buy old  oracle's equipment....

Regards,

Nik.

edited August 2019

thanks for that.

but, i asked for the cost to bring the support contract into order and have not herd back from them.

sure, i'm just a hobbiest with a few servers at the moment, but what if my situation changes?

What if i am contracted later to manage a massive datacenter one day?

and what if that datacenter is due a rolling upgrade? i know who's systems i wont be looking at.......

and i wont be recommending them to any one else i know for future support....

It all starts somewhere, word of mouth, past performances...

i was trying to play by their rules.. they still did not get back to me. twice. that is not the making of a good systems supplier/support for said systems...

so, with your comment, 'before play any game - check the rules  Do not buy old Oracle equipment'

i wont buy any more old Sun systems, nor will i buy any new ones either.....

the fact is, they didn't know their rules either, or they could have not waste my time by telling me they can not help from the start..

The first support sales person i contacted said they possible could help me and said she'd pass my info to 'ACS' to get back to me.

the second contact gave me his email address and requested proof of purchase be emailed as well, and STILL did not reply saying sorry we can't help...

and sure, it might be an EOL server, but the latest release of a firmware update was june 2018 and they still want you to pay for it, so provide the sales quote to sell the support...

anyway, had my rant.

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer

Hello 4063717,

When you reached out to Oracle to ask for their help did they provide you with any reference # in regards to your request so you can track it?

Advanced Customer Support (ACS) team which handles this type of request do not have a short response time usually until the purchase order is provided to end user.

Old Sun equipment as this one (released when Sun Microsystems was still in charge) is subject to Oracle support policies now and there is no workaround when it comes to handling support contracts.

The 'dark side' of the internet is filled with leaked information form official sources (firmware included), there are people out there which could be able to help you especially if they have an active support contract with Oracle and can download firmware...

eg:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/sunfire-x4170-firmware/114738

https://taicricreara.tk/education/sun-fire-x4270-firmware.php

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited September 2019

It's a shame i had to go that route, but yes. it has got my the fix i needed. thank you.

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited September 2019

Hello 4063717,

Best regards,

Claudiu

edited September 2019

not that i remember.

edited September 2019

not that i remember.

edited September 2019

not that i can remember.

• ClaudiuO-Oracle
    edited September 2019

Hello,

If no evidence exists then the issue cannot be tracked or verified that easily unfortunately, a registration number is always the best thing to have when dealing with situations like this so you can refer to it and check its status. I hope this will help you for the future situations.

PS: please mark the topic as closed choosing a correct answer (if there is any)

Best regards,

Claudiu