Forum Stats

• 3,825,929 Users
  • 2,260,581 Discussions
  • 7,896,738 Comments

Discussions

Oracle RMAN dedicated server

Maarten Vekens
Maarten Vekens Member Posts: 3
edited Dec 30, 2019 11:17AM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to use an oracle RMAN instance to backup and restore databases from different machines.

if so is this version independent? (12,18,19)

How about the license? Can oracle standard be used?

Can we store the backups on an alternative location?

next to that where are the configurations settings stored. On the dedicated rman server or on the instance.

thank you!

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Dec 30, 2019 9:26AM

What is an 'rman instance'?

The primary repository for alll backup information related to a given database is in that database's own control file.  In addition, you may have an rman catalog.  An rman catalog is nothing more than an application schema within an oracle database, with the application being rman.  If the database containing the catalog is used exclusively for the catalog, then there are no licensing implications at all. I don't have the documentation at hand, but I seem to recall that the catalog database must be Enterprise Edition. And of course, that database would be on a dedicated server, and used for all backups across the enterprise, regardless of version.  And that has zero to do with where the backups themselves are stored.

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,829 Black Diamond
    edited Dec 30, 2019 11:17AM

There's no such thing like an RMAN instance. RMAN requires a database instance to restore any database files. You cannot create some database instance and use RMAN to restore some database like you do with export or import; it's a common misconception and not how it works. Instead, you use RMAN to restore a database parameter file (spfile) and controlfile, then start the Oracle instance.

There is no RMAN server. The data in the controlfile of a database instance defines what information RMAN can restore or recover. There is no extra license for RMAN - it's included with your database license. Enterprise Edition has additional RMAN features, such as Block Change Tracking (BCT) and unused block compression See the following chart for details: https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBLIC/editions.htm#DBLIC109

You can use RMAN to store or read backups from any mounted disk, tape, or a shared file system (NFS), hence it's up to you where the backup and recovery data resides. RMAN is version dependent but backwards compatible. You cannot use RMAN 11g to restore a 12c Database, but you can use 12g to restore 9i, for example. You can use RMAN to restore and recover an older database version, but you need to upgrade the database, e.g. using the Database Upgrade Assistant (DBCA) before you can open and use the database. You can use RMAN to backup or restore a local database only.

You may find the following informative:

https://community.oracle.com/blogs/dude/2015/07/27/oracle-11g-disaster-recovery