Forum Stats

• 3,757,935 Users
  • 2,251,293 Discussions
  • 7,869,971 Comments

Discussions

What is Name covering vs Dyn/Oracle ??

1b842342-40cb-419c-9eeb-c6b0ed5ec7f8
edited Feb 3, 2020 9:54AM in Dyn Community

OK, I'm not sure why Oracle is dropping domain registration to Name.com. I just want to know what services will be covered by who. I get that Name is at least  on the hook for the DNS registration. But who maintains the name to IP mapping (A records)? And who maintain the URL to server mappings (Web hops)?

I tried shutting off the WebHops on Dyn and made them on Name and nothing resolved. SO we have to do business with both companies now? Name for the DNS registration and Dyn/Oracle for all the mappings?

Best Answer

• ac1b3adc-4e80-4b5c-937c-2f6a9f3dfe2e
    edited Jan 2, 2020 5:06PM Accepted Answer

You will need to go to Name and see what they have set as the Name Servers. If the settings are still pointing to Dyn's, then make your changes at Dyn. If they point to Name.com's then make them there. I'm in the process of recreating all my records at Name.com to facilitate switching (if its not all bundled then why pay Dyn for what Name is offering already?)

Answers

• ac1b3adc-4e80-4b5c-937c-2f6a9f3dfe2e
    edited Jan 2, 2020 5:06PM Accepted Answer

You will need to go to Name and see what they have set as the Name Servers. If the settings are still pointing to Dyn's, then make your changes at Dyn. If they point to Name.com's then make them there. I'm in the process of recreating all my records at Name.com to facilitate switching (if its not all bundled then why pay Dyn for what Name is offering already?)

4180844 Member Posts: 3
    edited Feb 2, 2020 5:28AM

Hi there,

thanks so much for that: yes I agree, as far as I can see I just need to add Google's mx records to my domain at name.com, click on 'Default Nameservers' there to add name.com's and to remove the dns.dyn.com ones that are currently there. At that point, I don't need dyn.com at all and I can cancel my account with them?

• Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle
    Michael.R.Taylor-Oracle Posts: 255 Employee
    edited Feb 3, 2020 9:54AM

Hi @608c506d-6536-4567-9d67-ca90b8617239,

I am not familiar with name.com DNS offerings, but before cancelling your current services anywhere you will want to make certain that any records on the current one are exported and then imported to the new service. Please note that your current Dyn DNS services will continue to function (assuming you are using Standard DNS) as they always have until its expiration on May 31, 2020. You will want to migrate your DNS services prior to this date in order to avoid a disruption in services.

Mike

Oracle + Dyn

User_SVMLH
  • User_SVMLH
    User_SVMLH Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

I understand you guys had to pick somebody I'm confused as to why Oracle did not step up to the plate and take the domain registry Oracle is trying to compete with Google, MS and AWS would not make sense considering they all have domain registrar's AWS does have 1/3 party and Microsoft has two third parties but this is an asset I feel you guys forfeited for no reason.