• 2,262,237 Discussions
  • 7,900,223 Comments

Discussions

18c upgrade and ora-01017 invalid username/password

SQL_Warrior
SQL_Warrior Member Posts: 10
edited Jan 4, 2020 5:54AM in Database Security - General

Greetings All ,

i recently upgraded a database to 18c release with latest patches being applied. after the upgrade i am facing authentication issues with multiple accounts.

some accounts are not connecting to the database and the following error is thrown ?

ora-01017 invalid username/password

SQL_Warriorandrewmy

Best Answer

• Emad Al-Mousa
    Emad Al-Mousa Member Posts: 716 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jan 4, 2020 3:15AM Answer ✓

what are the  PASSWORD_VERSIONS for these accounts ? you can check that from dba_users view . it seems these accounts are using old hashing algorithms. From 12cR2 and beyond oracle enforced higher authentication level !

in my opinion you have two options:

• reset the password of these accounts (password_versions) value should be updated, and make sure your application client is compatible with 18c !

• lower the authentication by setting the following parameter in sqlnet.ora file for example : SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION=11
    SQL_Warriorandrewmy

Answers

• Emad Al-Mousa
    Emad Al-Mousa Member Posts: 716 Bronze Trophy
    edited Jan 4, 2020 3:15AM Answer ✓

what are the  PASSWORD_VERSIONS for these accounts ? you can check that from dba_users view . it seems these accounts are using old hashing algorithms. From 12cR2 and beyond oracle enforced higher authentication level !

in my opinion you have two options:

• reset the password of these accounts (password_versions) value should be updated, and make sure your application client is compatible with 18c !

• lower the authentication by setting the following parameter in sqlnet.ora file for example : SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION=11
    SQL_Warriorandrewmy
  • SQL_Warrior
    SQL_Warrior Member Posts: 10
    edited Jan 4, 2020 5:54AM

first option (resetting the password) worked with me fine !  Thank You !