Forum Stats

• 3,767,933 Users
  • 2,252,732 Discussions
  • 7,874,385 Comments

Discussions

Help Needed in migrating oracle OEM and it's componets to the latest versions.

anoop_kumar
anoop_kumar Member Posts: 4
edited Feb 5, 2020 9:44AM in Enterprise Manager

Hi Everyone ,

We are planning to migrate our OEM to 13c and are needing some answers as to which Linux operating systems are supported, we would want to know if centos 7 is supported.

Thanks,

Anoop

Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle

Best Answer

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Feb 4, 2020 9:10PM Accepted Answer

Hi Anoop,

We do not have any mechanism to install OMS alone on top of WLS.

OEM installation first installs the WLS and builds the OMS on top of it. So there is no 2 steps process available in a manual way.

So separating them will not work as the OMS is built on Weblogic stack and all the patching activities / other stuff works only by connecting to WLS.

Best Regards,

Venkat

Answers

edited Jan 23, 2020 11:13AM

Hi Anoop,

Both 13.2 & 13.3 are supported only on these following Linux Operating Systems:

SLES 12,SLES 11,Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7,Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6,Oracle Linux 7,Oracle Linux 6

Best Regards,

Venkat

• anoop_kumar
    edited Jan 29, 2020 12:34PM

Hi Venkata,

Thanks for the response, we are having a few architectural questions when implementing the OEM 13c.

1) We wanted to know if weblogic component can be replaced with tomcat and if not can weblogic component be implemented as containers?
    2)Is the license free for the weblogic component that comes with the OEM ? and does oracle support it ?

Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    edited Jan 29, 2020 3:11PM

Hi,

1. EM is a Managed Server which is built on top of Weblogic. So there is not possibility to replace the Weblogic with Tomcat.

2. The containers is not supported.

3. Weblogic component which comes with EM surely is supported for the basic operations which EM needs.

Oracle does support it as we can patch it and also any bugs in the WLS layer were been analysed and fixed.

But to confirm you, the only EM version which is currently in support is 13.3 EM. The older versions are out of support.

13.4 EM is expected to be released very soon.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

• anoop_kumar
    edited Jan 29, 2020 4:10PM

Hi Venkata,

I might have asked the wrong question , we are looking for the OMS component to be run on top of tomcat, do you have a link that can provide the list of application servers that are supported by OMS.

Thanks,

Lalith

edited Jan 30, 2020 8:24AM

Hi Lalith,

If i understood correct, you are asking me if you can move the OMS which was built on top of Application Server (OHS) to be moved to Tomcat!!

If yes!! my answer remains the same!! it is not possible.

Best Regards,

Venkat

• anoop_kumar
    edited Feb 4, 2020 2:47PM

Hi Venkat,

I was trying to understand if the component OMS can only be installed on Weblogic or any of the application servers for example Apache Tomcat. Or the whole suite of OEM including the OMS needs to be installed on top of weblogic only.

What i am looking for is where does the weblogic component actually fit in the whole installation of OEM(which includes OMS).

Thanks,

Anoop

edited Feb 4, 2020 9:10PM Accepted Answer

Hi Anoop,

We do not have any mechanism to install OMS alone on top of WLS.

OEM installation first installs the WLS and builds the OMS on top of it. So there is no 2 steps process available in a manual way.

So separating them will not work as the OMS is built on Weblogic stack and all the patching activities / other stuff works only by connecting to WLS.

Best Regards,

Venkat

• Courtney Llamas-Oracle
    Courtney Llamas-Oracle Member Posts: 782 Employee
    edited Feb 5, 2020 9:44AM

Just to confirm what Venkat said, there is no option to customize the stack that OEM runs on.   If you're worried about licensing, the WLS stack is included in licensing free of charge for use with Oracle Enterprise Manager.