• 2,259,333 Discussions
  • 7,893,772 Comments

Discussions

Oracle VM Server vs Oracle Linux KVM

Alexander Zotov
Alexander Zotov Member Posts: 6 Blue Ribbon
edited Feb 29, 2020 5:07AM in Oracle VM

Hello everyone!

Is there any significant difference between Oracle VM Server for x86_64 and Oracle Linux KVM? Which one you prefer and why?

Thank you and best regards!

commenter-Oracle

Answers

• user9965623
    user9965623 Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
    edited Feb 29, 2020 5:07AM

I have used both in my lab and currently have Oracle Linux KVM nested in ESXi.

Of the two, I prefer Oracle Linux KVM.  As it does not require a separate VM to run the management console.  Oracle Linux KVM is based on the oVirt project and it is a few version behind the upstream release.  (4.2.8 vs 4.3.8)

The upcoming oVirt releases are 4.3.9 & 4.4.0.

I recommend checking out ovirt.org for more on that project.

If there is anything I can try to answer specifically, let me know.

commenter-Oracle
  • User_48ZV5
    User_48ZV5 Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

I was very surprised to read that Oracle VM, which I assume is the recommended VM environment on Oracle Linux, is based on XEN.

Is it for historical reasons, that KVM was not production-ready/existed when Oracle Linux was born, and now they don't wanna dich it or do they (Oracle) really mean it's the best hypervisor for OL?

In my view it's obvious that QEMU-KVM should be the prefered hypervisor for any RHEL'ish distro.

• VNZ
    VNZ Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

I think, Oracle VM is simple and better.

• User_48ZV5
    User_48ZV5 Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

I assume you refer to the management-interface and not the hypervisor technology itself.

I think it's a rather common view that KVM has better performance than XEN (not that I've tested it myself).

I also expect the KVM/QEMU/Libvirt project are more active than the XEN project.

• VNZ
    VNZ Member Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

Not only management-interface, performance, hypervisor project activity, etc.

For example, Oracle VM repositories (ocfs2, reflink) is very useful for me, because I can take virtual disk snapshot without operations at storage.