Forum Stats

• 3,828,170 Users
  • 2,260,869 Discussions
  • 7,897,502 Comments

Discussions

RMAN EXPIRED BACKUPS HUGE IN NUMBERS

007 Member Posts: 358
edited May 7, 2020 6:54AM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hi,

I am using Oracle database 12.2.0.1 and my RMAN crosscheck backup command is failing(running for long time and not completing) after L0 backup.After connecting to the Recovery catalog if i issue the list expired backup it shows 54440 backup pieces.How to fix this issue??  If i run delete expired backup its running for more than 2 hours and audit files are getting generated huge.

How to fix this crosscheck backup command ?? i cannot remove this command and its a common script runs for all DB's

Regards,

Answers

• Adityanath Dewoolkar
    Adityanath Dewoolkar Member Posts: 346 Bronze Badge
    edited Mar 18, 2020 8:16AM

Expired backups are those found to be inaccessible during a cross-check.

I guess you need to check if there is any logic in backup script to move backup pieces to other location after backup gets complete.

Its expected to run your crosscheck/delete expired commands longer, if you have so much information in RMAN repository.

Regards,

Adi

• Mustafa_KALAYCI
    Mustafa_KALAYCI Member Posts: 3,383 Bronze Crown
    edited Apr 6, 2020 5:49AM

what error did you get when you tried to crosscheck? you can do it partially for ex:

crosscheck backup completed after 'sysdate-14';

• Pavan Kumar
    Pavan Kumar Member Posts: 11,904 Gold Crown
    edited Apr 6, 2020 2:22PM

Hi,

you need to improve wise your common used scripts when you have such expired backups
    https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta036.htm#RCMRF132 

list expired listobjspec... one more option is record spec.-

-HTH

- Pavan Kumar N

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,829 Black Diamond
    edited May 7, 2020 6:54AM

It most likely means you're relying on the OS or other backup software to relocate your RMAN backups to other storage media. This can be useful if you wish to keep your RMAN backups for a long time. If you need to restore an older version of the database you restore the controlfile and RMAN backups as needed prior to performing a RMAN restore and recovery. Why do you need to crosscheck? When you restore an older version of the database and restore the controlfile, which automatically performs a crosscheck, you should not connect to the recovery catalog, not in your case. Your RMAN backups and archivelogs are also stored in the controlfile, and you can re-catalog if necessary.