Forum Stats

• 3,828,179 Users
  • 2,260,870 Discussions
  • 7,897,506 Comments

Discussions

Use RMan with an specific network card/device

User_QQTFO
User_QQTFO Member Posts: 3 Green Ribbon
edited Mar 18, 2020 1:30PM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hi.

Is there a way to force/configure rman to run on a specific network card?

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Mar 17, 2020 1:15PM
    4083536 wrote:Hi.Is there a way to force/configure rman to run on a specific network card?

Not that I can see in any of the rman syntax.

Nor would I care.

What problem are you trying to solve? (and, no, how to assign rman to a specific NIC is not a problem, it is a pre-conceived technical "solution".

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,829 Black Diamond
    edited Mar 17, 2020 1:53PM

You can use RMAN to backup and restore a local database only. Database storage or backup media can be remote but needs to appear as local, e.g. NFS. Hence RMAN does not have any business with network devices and it's up to the OS to provide storage access, and, for example, map remote storage as local media.

• User_QQTFO
    edited Mar 18, 2020 8:29AM

Hi. thank you for reply.  I have two NICs, one (NIC1) for administration only and other one (NIC2) that i want to use only for the backup traffic to a EMC data domain server.

When executing backup, i can see the traffics is starts on NIC1, that is slower thant NIC2.  I want to use only NIC2 for backup traffic.

• Dude!
    Dude! Member Posts: 22,829 Black Diamond
    edited Mar 18, 2020 10:21AM

Again, RMAN doesn't know or care about your network adapter.  If you use EMC, chances are you use Powerpath or Multipath, and perhaps iSCSI or NFS (dNFS). From the perspective or RMAN it's local storage media. If you want traffic to go via a certain NIC you need to configure your network/OS accordingly, not RMAN.

• User_QQTFO
    edited Mar 18, 2020 1:30PM

Ok. Thank you!