• 3,853,841 Users
  • 2,264,285 Discussions
  • 7,905,471 Comments

Discussions

Install two versions of OEM server in one host

User_LZY8A
User_LZY8A Member Posts: 58 Red Ribbon
edited Mar 24, 2020 11:56AM in Enterprise Manager

I know I can install two version of OEM agents in one host.

Question is:

Can I install two versions of OEM servers in one host with two totally different directories and set of ports?

Thanks.

EdStevens

Answers

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Mar 20, 2020 4:31PM

Hi,

Yes!! You can install 2 versions of OEM on same host with different set of ports.

But you need to make sure enough resources were present on the host as OMS needs lot of resources.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Mar 20, 2020 5:21PM

Yes you can...the big question is why would you want to do so? With today's virtualization tech, you can easily set up VM's and keep them entirely separate. Just a thought.

Cheers,
    Brian

User_LZY8A
  • User_LZY8A
    edited Mar 23, 2020 9:48AM

Thanks for the answer. That's actually what I thought as well. In the same time I also checked with Oracle support, here is what whey said:

No, this is not possible due to conflict of configuration file and resource need to run both applications at the same time.

• User_LZY8A
    edited Mar 23, 2020 9:50AM

The reason is that extra server needs a very complicate requesting procedure and also the task will be for OS team.

Anyway Oracle support said I can't do so and it's not possible.

Thanks much for the suggestion.

edited Mar 23, 2020 9:53AM

Hi,

You can install 2 versions of OEM on same host with different set of ports.

But as i mentioned in my earlier post, you need to make sure enough resources were present on the host as OMS needs lot of resources.

Can you provide me the SR# who suggested that it is not possible?

Thanks,
    Venkat

• User_LZY8A
    edited Mar 23, 2020 8:25PM

Here is the detail explanation from Oracle support:

One configuration file is the emgc.properties file which is located in the gc_inst directory. This file and the associated directory is automatically created on installation. So even you create two different middleware home directories, the gc_inst will be create in a different directory and if there is another EM installation, the new gc_inst directory will conflict with the one already installed. Also, the installation guide will detect the other and EM installation will not allow you install a new installation until the previous one is removed. In addition this is not a support installation method.

edited Mar 24, 2020 12:53AM

Hi,

The recommendation definitely is to have only one OEM on one server.

But one gc_inst will never block to create a new one. As gc_inst is the default instance home name, which you have an option to provide your customized name during the installation / upgradation.

The installer will block you only if you are trying to install 2nd OEM using the same Repository DB which is definitely possible as the SYSMAN schema already exists.

But until you are using the different ports, you can install multiple OEMs on a host.

NOTE: Again it is not recommended due to the high performance issues / possible confusion with the EMs while trying to monitor the environments.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

• BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond
    edited Mar 24, 2020 11:10AM
    you can install multiple OEMs on a host.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Just had to say it. LOL.

Cheers,
    Brian

EdStevens
    edited Mar 24, 2020 11:56AM

Hi Brian,

Totally accepted.

I have mentioned it as not recommended.

But i am just trying to explain the technicality.

Regards,
    Venkat