Forum Stats

• 3,836,754 Users
  • 2,262,182 Discussions
  • 7,900,094 Comments

Discussions

ORA-3113 end of communication error when trying to upload tables to DMS via SSL, works without SSL

heydudebro
heydudebro Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon
edited Apr 3, 2020 11:00AM in Database Security - General

Trying to upload 200+ tables to DMS using SSL and the upload process fails after six to seven tables. I can upload 1 massive 16M row table in a couple hours with no issues but 6 to 7 small tables fail in a matter of minutes all using SSL.  Without SSL i can upload 200+ tables with no issues. Any ideas

Answers

• pmdba
    pmdba Member Posts: 103 Bronze Badge
    edited Mar 25, 2020 7:48PM

SSL is much more sensitive to network latency; the connection is most likely being dropped because of a timeout (ORA-03113 is kind of a generic "the network failed but I don't know why" error message). You may need to get with your system and/or network administrators and see if there is anything you can do to tune the kernel or network interfaces to increase your throughput. Sometimes packet sizes can be increased, or network memory buffers, or other parameters can be adjusted to greatly improve things. In general it is better to send fewer, bigger network packets.

• heydudebro
    heydudebro Member Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon
    edited Apr 3, 2020 11:00AM

Tinkered around with timeout settings and found that SQLNET.SEND_TIMEOUT=6000 (6000 sec or 100min) in the sqlnet.ora kept the connection persisting and the upload of 1.1TB completed via SSL with no issues.  I'm sure 6000 is a bit over kill and will and will adjust accordingly. There were no settings on the AWS endpoint side to modify network throughput. I do not have access to look at the AWS direct connect settings.