Forum Stats

• 3,825,999 Users
  • 2,260,586 Discussions
  • 7,896,761 Comments

Discussions

rman upgrade from 12 to 18

cptkirksh
cptkirksh Member Posts: 89 Red Ribbon
edited Mar 31, 2020 12:55PM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

I asked this question in Database upgrade but thought i would get some input from here too. 

Ok, so we upgraded all of our DBs to 18c and now we have performed a catalog upgrade on the recovery catalog.  What is the general consensus on upgrading the RMAN DB itself?  Do you set up a new one in the new version and import the catalog?  Can you do an in-place upgrade?  Any suggestions?  All of this resides on an Exadata in Oracle Linux.  Thanks

In other words,we have run the upgrade catalog statement but I want to start my rman db from the 18c home.  Can I just shut the rman db down and startup from the 18c home or do I need to perform an upgrade like a regular DB?

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Mar 31, 2020 12:52PM
    3631781 wrote:I asked this question in Database upgrade but thought i would get some input from here too. Ok, so we upgraded all of our DBs to 18c and now we have performed a catalog upgrade on the recovery catalog. What is the general consensus on upgrading the RMAN DB itself? Do you set up a new one in the new version and import the catalog? Can you do an in-place upgrade? Any suggestions? All of this resides on an Exadata in Oracle Linux. ThanksIn other words,we have run the upgrade catalog statement but I want to start my rman db from the 18c home. Can I just shut the rman db down and startup from the 18c home or do I need to perform an upgrade like a regular DB?

What do you mean "like a regular DB"?

It is a regular  DB.

The catalog (upgrade catalog) is nothing more than an application schema, with  the application being rman. 

The database that holds the catalog (application schema), is just a database with an application schema.

There is no connection between the version of the catalog and the version of the database where the catalog resides.

I upgraded my rman catalog database from 12.1.0.2 to 18c the same way I am upgrading the rest of my databases.  Install 18c into its new home, run the pre-upgrade assesment, address any issues, the run the dbua, all as documented in the installation and upgrade guide.

No, you can't just start the db from the 18c home.  There's nothing about it being the repository of your rman catalog (schema) that makes it different, or magical, or mysterious.  Certainly nothing that would exempt it from normal database upgrade procedures.

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,778 Gold Crown
    edited Mar 31, 2020 12:55PM

bTW,  It is poor netiquette to cross-post, especially in the same 'family' of forums.