• 2,250,335 Discussions
  • 7,867,351 Comments

Discussions

Beginning set up monitoring on EMCC

Laury
Laury Member Posts: 1,651 Silver Badge
edited Jul 9, 2020 3:16PM in Enterprise Manager

Hi,

I can use EMCC to monitor servers/nodes, database listeners, databases, middleware components.

If I wish to set up monitoring for servers, insances and listeners, do I need to install a specific piece of software on the severs where these servives are running?

Or, can I do it just from the EMCC console?

Having EMCC installed on Linux, do I need to add in /etc/hosts all the servers that I wish to monitor?

Thanks by advance for sharing your experience.

Kind Regards

Answers

• Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle
    Venkata Thiruveedhi-Oracle Posts: 590 Employee
    edited Jun 7, 2020 11:30AM

Hi,

To monitor your instances, listeners on other servers:

1. Install an Agent on that target server.

2. Discover those targets (databases, listeners) from EM console.

Then you can monitor your targets on EM Console.

1. To install agent on target server:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/enterprise-manager/cloud-control/enterprise-manager-cloud-control/13.3.1/embsc/installing-oracle-management-agents.html#GUID-D08C7C37-7BCD-4E32-A74B-7C5FD266D151

2. Disocvering the databases:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/enterprise-manager/cloud-control/enterprise-manager-cloud-control/13.3.1/emadm/discovering-and-adding-database-targets.html#GUID-86BE0C0D-552C-4968-BF2E-BD8DC2ACD081

Best Regards,

Venkat

• Laury
    edited Jun 7, 2020 1:16PM

Hi,

Let's assume I want to monitor through EMCC the listener, the database and its instance, and the server itself

This is a Linux server. I have thus 3 components I wish to monitor.

The first step is to install an EM agent on target server.

This is a pretty complex documentation. I don't find it easy.

There is no example at all in that documentation.

1) What software exactly do I need to download?

2) I assume this is the software that needs to be install3ed on the target server.

3) How should this software be configured for EMCC?

4) How to make it communicating (on both directions) to EMCC?

Where should I start?

Does someone has experinence in setting up monitoring on EMCC?

Kind Regards

edited Jun 7, 2020 11:35PM

Hi Laury,

If your OMS is on Linux and you want to install and agent on Linux, then you need not download the software again, it would be available.

The following document will help you step by step installation using console:
    EM 12c: How to Deploy the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Linux x86 Agent From the Enterprise Manager 12.1 Console (Doc ID 1360183.1)

The following document will help you step by step installation in silent method:

EM 12c, EM 13c: How to Install Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Agent in Silent Mode with the agentDeploy.sh Script Using a Response File (Doc ID 1360083.1)

To get the agent software for other platforms / OS you can follow the document below:
    Note 1369575.1 EM 12c: Acquiring or Updating the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12.1.0.1 Management Agent Software Using the Self Update Feature

Best Regards,

Venkat

• Laury
    edited Jun 8, 2020 12:14PM

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for these indication, but still not clear for me.

If I well understand, the first step is to install thet agent software on the server we want to monitor (this can the server itself, the database,...).

Is that correct?

So, I will start with that step.

I have an Oracle 19.5 database for the OMS repository and I have installed EMCC 13.4.

Both are running on the same OEL 7.6 server.

Also during the installation of EMCC 13.4, there is also an Agent running on that server.

I am not sure I understand all the document references your provided.

1) Doc ID 1360183.1:

This document describes the summary steps for installing EM 12c management agent

But I have version EMCC 13.4 and I have already an agent running on the server where OMS is running.

Do I need to install an agent again?

Do I have to use that document?

2) Doc ID 1360083.1:

It is the sdame than above, but in silent mode and for EM 12c, EM 13c.

Do I need to install an agent again?

3) Doc ID 1369575.1:

When I search in MOS for this document, I get "    EM 12c, EM 13c: Staging the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control Management Agent for Deployment Using the Self Update, Download and Apply Functions (Doc ID 1369575.1)",

and not "Acquiring or Updating the Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12.1.0.1 Management Agent Software Using  the Self Update Feature".

Also for EMCC 12.1.0.1 while I use EMCC 13.4.

Can you tell me please, which document I should consider first?

Should I work from the server where EMCC 13.4 is running like it seems to be for 1) and 2), or on the target server (the server want to monitor)?

Thanks by advance.

Kind Regards

edited Jun 8, 2020 2:08PM

Hi Laury,

" I have an Oracle 19.5 database for the OMS repository and I have installed EMCC 13.4.

Both are running on the same OEL 7.6 server.

Also during the installation of EMCC 13.4, there is also an Agent running on that server."

All this is on your EM server where you installed the EM Cloud Control. You do not need any other agent installed on this server as you will get one agent installed along with OMS.

Now if you want to monitor your databases on other servers using this EM Cloud Control, on those servers you have to first install the agent.

You are clear with this part right.

If your databases on other servers are also on Linux server, then first you need to follow the Doc ID 1360183.1 and install the agents on other servers.

Best Regards,

Venkat

• Laury
    edited Jun 9, 2020 12:14PM

Hi,

I am starting with the prerequisites from Doc ID 1360183.1).

This documentation is for at least 12.1.0.5 and no higher version.

Is it applicable also for 19.5.0.0?

b) OS Package Requirements:

Does this apply for the serer on which OMS is running or the target server, or both?

For the server on which OMS is running I have:

---

[[email protected] ~]# rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}(%{ARCH})\n" | grep glibc

glibc-devel-2.17-307.0.1.el7.1(x86_64)

compat-glibc-headers-2.12-4.el7(x86_64)

glibc-headers-2.17-307.0.1.el7.1(x86_64)

glibc-2.17-307.0.1.el7.1(i686)

glibc-devel-2.17-307.0.1.el7.1(i686)

glibc-2.17-307.0.1.el7.1(x86_64)

compat-glibc-2.12-4.el7(x86_64)

glibc-common-2.17-307.0.1.el7.1(x86_64)

---

For the target server I have:

---

[[email protected] oracle]# rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}(%{ARCH})\n" | grep glibc

glibc-2.17-196.el7(x86_64)

glibc-headers-2.17-196.el7(x86_64)

compat-glibc-headers-2.12-4.el7(x86_64)

glibc-common-2.17-196.el7(x86_64)

glibc-devel-2.17-196.el7(x86_64)

compat-glibc-2.12-4.el7(x86_64)

---

=> I don't have such a package: glibc-profile-*

f) Software Availability Requirements:

I do not understant what I have to do with this section.

What software do I need and how to install it?

e) SUDO Requirements:

I do guess that this applies to target server only (the server to be monitored), correct?

g) Temporary Directory Space Requirements:

I assume that this applies only to the to target server, correct?

You wrote "If your databases on other servers are also on Linux server, then first you need to follow the Doc ID 1360183.1 and install

the agents on other servers", does this mean that the installation should be done on the target server, or if I refer to the title of the document that the installation of the agent can be done from the EM console?

Kind Regards

• Loc Nhan-Oracle
    Loc Nhan-Oracle Member Posts: 770 Employee
    edited Jun 9, 2020 1:22PM

Hi Laury,

Assuming you are looking at deploying a 13.4 agent, I suggest looking at the Basic Installation guide.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/enterprise-manager/cloud-control/enterprise-manager-cloud-control/13.4/embsc/index.html

You can find the package requirements for Agent at the following link:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/enterprise-manager/cloud-control/enterprise-manager-cloud-control/13.4/embsc/package-kernel-p…

Thanks,

Loc

• Laury
    edited Jun 10, 2020 11:56AM

Hi Loc,

Thanks for your reation.

I did not menton the exact versions because I thought setting up monitoring on EMCC was generic.

My versions are:

EMCC: 13.4

Repository (on the same server than EMCC): 19.5.0.0

Target database versions: 12cR2 and 19c.

Servers: all are OEL 7.6

Something I do not understand, do I need to do all the above checks regarding OS packages,... on existing running databases and servers?

Kind Regards

edited Jun 10, 2020 12:09PM

Hi Laury,

It is recommended to validate as EM Agent software is different from Database software and we have seen cases where the installation fails due to the packages missing.

Best Regards,
    Venkat

• Loc Nhan-Oracle
    Loc Nhan-Oracle Member Posts: 770 Employee
    edited Jun 10, 2020 12:19PM

Laury,

Yes, you need to meet the Agent requirements on each agent host to avoid installation failures as Venkat has suggested.

Regards,

Loc