• 3,872,163 Users
  • 2,266,399 Discussions
  • 7,911,085 Comments

Discussions

Application VM Data and Database VM Data on ZFS

Jim Deely
Jim Deely Member Posts: 72 Blue Ribbon
edited Jun 17, 2020 6:33PM in ZFS Storage Appliance

Traditional 3 tier system see application data stored locally on the application server and data on the database in the directed attached storage. With ZFS storage, the entire compute tier/node is attached to the storage tier/node. What is the best practice to ensure proper segregation of data belonging to the applications from data belonging to the database? I am new to this idea of converged infrastructures.

Thank you.

Jim Deely

Answers

• Andris Perkons-Oracle
    Andris Perkons-Oracle Posts: 1,094 Employee
    edited Jun 17, 2020 9:48AM

Unless we are talking about very small amounts of data, the "data stored locally on the application server" and the databases' data on "directed attached storage" already was in reality some kind of shared SAN or NAS storage. ZFS storage does not change that. It is a shared storage device that can present data via different protocols, such as NFS, CIFS or iSCSI. Data segregation typically is done at the "project" level where each project can have it's own owners, access lists and other properties (from the ZFS documentation: "A project defines a common administrative control point for managing shares." see https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E27998_01/html/E48433/shares__concepts.html#shares__concepts__projects )

Andris

Jim DeelyJim Deely
  • Jim Deely
    edited Jun 17, 2020 6:25PM

Andris

Thank you for the link. Very informative.

Jim

• Jim Deely
    edited Jun 17, 2020 6:33PM

Andris,

Reality is that is application data is quite small and when resident on physical servers there is no way for the application servers to connect to the storage which is kept with the databases. Now through virtualization, both the applications and databases will be on the same compute nodes with storage attached directly to these nodes. I am thinking about how my overall security posture is affected with this change.

Thanks

Jim