• 2,253,013 Discussions
  • 7,875,157 Comments

Discussions

Tableau connection to Essbase cubes

Hyp_Learn
Hyp_Learn Member Posts: 327 Blue Ribbon
edited Jul 23, 2020 12:55PM in EPM System Infrastructure

Hello Everyone,

Can you please let me know if there is anyway we can use Tableau to connect to Essbase cubes? Please advise.

Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Madhusudhan. M
    Madhusudhan. M Business Analyst Member Posts: 1,904 Silver Trophy
    edited Jul 15, 2020 11:38PM
  • Vasantha Kumar
    Vasantha Kumar Member Posts: 49 Bronze Badge
    edited Jul 15, 2020 11:56PM

Hi,

Yes, you can connect to Essbase. Please refer to the below document for the details on connecting to Essbase from Tableau.

https://help.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/examples_essbase.htm

Regards,

Vasanth

• Srini+K
    Srini+K Member Posts: 253 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jul 16, 2020 10:35AM

create separate essbase server and put the "connnected" cubes in there.. next .. pray that they would not occupy 100% cpu.

• ERoske
    ERoske Member Posts: 38
    edited Jul 23, 2020 9:55AM

But doesn't this driver only support out-of-date versions of Essbase (up through Essbase 11.1.2.4)? There was an old TCP/IP loophole that Tableau used to use to connect to Essbase that's been closed for years.

So I guess the question is not "did Tableau used to be able to connect to Essbase" but rather "can Tableau still connect to Essbase?"

If someone knows where to get the Tableau driver that knows how to connect to Essbase 12c or 19c, I'd love the link. Thank you!

• Vasantha Kumar
    edited Jul 23, 2020 10:15AM

Hi,

Essbase 11.1.2.4 is not an out of date version. It is still supported version currently many of the customers use. And to note this is part of the EPM suite and even in EPM 11.2 version Essbase is still on 11.1.2.4 only.

Essbase 12c or 19c is completely standalone Essbase which is only for BI and not for EPM. I will do some research on tableau connectivity with this version and get back with my findings.

Regards,

Vasanth

• ERoske
    ERoske Member Posts: 38
    edited Jul 23, 2020 12:03PM

Sorry, I should introduce myself. My name is Edward Roske and I not only co-authored the first book on Essbase, I have, to-date, published 15+ books on Essbase and Oracle EPM. (Search on Amazon for "Look Smarter Than You Are with Essbase"). I am also an Oracle ACE Director for Essbase and Oracle EPM. Please reach out to me on LinkedIn cause I'd love to connect. :-)

So now you can trust me when I say that "Essbase 11.1.2.4 is out-of-date" I mean not that it's unsupported, but rather that it's not current (having been released 5+ years ago). That version used TCP/IP with open ports (somewhat begging for a denial of service attack) so they fixed that security hole in Essbase 12c (which was an on-premise version packaged with OBIEE 12c) and it stayed fixed in OAC Essbase and Essbase 19c. While you are correct that those last two versions of Essbase are hosted, the forthcoming release (Essbase 21c) will follow this same model and it will be on-premises.

I appreciate any research you can do on this because there are many customers wanting to connect Tableau to Essbase beyond the on-premises version. Thank you for any help on this, Vasanth. I'm sure someone better at me than Tableau can probably get it working (or someone who knows the right people at Tableau can convince them to update their driver).

• Srini+K
    Srini+K Member Posts: 253 Blue Ribbon
    edited Jul 23, 2020 12:24PM

My prior experience connecting Tableau to 11.1.2.4 had not been good.  Connected Tableau to planning cube..

The problem is.. we are at mercy of inefficient queries from Tableau.

The design philosophy behind Tableau (write your own dash boards. .. even a person with no knowledge can pickup and create their own reports and dashboards... we will get into hot water.)

do not know what is so much hype about Tableau.. not sure why it is in the top of BI tools.

python related presentations can do so much more in a open no cost way.

is that Visual explorer that use to be in SmartView ..which is called with some sprucing called Tableau..?? i could not remember exact name of it..

• Vasantha Kumar
    edited Jul 23, 2020 12:55PM

That's really good to know about you Edward. I am trying my best to connect with Tableau contacts to check further on this. Will respond as I get details.

And yes lets get connected on LinkedIn :-)

Regards,

Vasanth