Forum Stats

• 3,759,866 Users
  • 2,251,607 Discussions
  • 7,870,847 Comments

Discussions

Oracle database 11.2.0.4.0 rman fails to delete obsolete backupset from remote location

VangelisP
VangelisP Member Posts: 12 Blue Ribbon
edited Sep 17, 2020 3:24AM in Recovery Manager (RMAN)

Hi all, I have an Oracle database 11.2.0.4.0 on Windows 2012. We ran the rman procedure and it succeeds writing to remote location '\\sharedfolder\\dbname\rman\'

Moreover, script contains delete obsolete command, which fails to delete obsolete backupsets from remote location.

We checked Windows permissions, rman backup initiator on local system and accordingly permissions on remote backup location. Everything seems fine.

In the same remote location, we have another four (4) databases, writing and deleting successfully. We did ran a crosscheck and user/permissions seem OK.

Any ideas how to workaround it??

Regards,

Vangelis

VangelisP

Answers

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,484 Gold Crown
    edited Sep 15, 2020 8:31PM
    VangelisP wrote:Hi all, I have an Oracle database 11.2.0.4.0 on Windows 2012. We ran the rman procedure and it succeeds writing to remote location '\\sharedfolder\\dbname\rman\'Moreover, script contains delete obsolete command, which fails to delete obsolete backupsets from remote location.We checked Windows permissions, rman backup initiator on local system and accordingly permissions on remote backup location. Everything seems fine.In the same remote location, we have another four (4) databases, writing and deleting successfully. We did ran a crosscheck and user/permissions seem OK.Any ideas how to workaround it??Regards,Vangelis

First, 'crosscheck' has zero to do with 'obsolete'. 

Second, how do you determine what is 'obsolete', that you think rman should be deleting it?  Many, many people think that any backup older than sysdate - retention period is automatically 'obsolete'.  This is not true, for reasons I'll not go into just yet.  You need to do rman 'report obsolete' to see what rman (correctly) considers to be 'obsolete'.

• Christian Gohmann
    Christian Gohmann Member Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon
    edited Sep 16, 2020 2:13AM

Hi Vangelis,

can you please post the error you encounterd while trying to delete obsolste backups.

Is the Windows service for the Oracle database and listener configured with a dedicated user (not the default Local System account)?

Cheers

Christian

VangelisP
  • VangelisP
    edited Sep 16, 2020 4:20AM

Hi Christian,

Hereby the show all rman parameters:

Windows Service for listener and database, yes indeed configured with a dedicated user

"using target database control file instead of recovery catalog

RMAN configuration parameters for database with db_unique_name XXX are:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 1 DAYS;

CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF;

CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '\\Cveeam2\to

tape\RMAN\ctrl_%F';

CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 2 BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET;

CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default

CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT   '\\Ceeam2\totape\RMAN\db_%U';

CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default

CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default

CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default

CONFIGURE COMPRESSION ALGORITHM 'BASIC' AS OF RELEASE 'DEFAULT' OPTIMIZE FOR LOA

D TRUE ; # default

CONFIGURE RMAN OUTPUT TO KEEP FOR 7 DAYS; # default

CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default

CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'E:\\PRODUCT\12.2.0\DBHOME_1\DATABASE\SNCFEVER.ORA'; # default

We don't get any errors, simply rman does not delete obsolete backups although it writes the daily backup on the specified remote folder.

Regards,

Vangelis

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,484 Gold Crown
    edited Sep 16, 2020 8:40AM

Please address the points I raised in my earlier response.

• VangelisP
    edited Sep 17, 2020 3:24AM

Hi Ed, When mentioning 'crosscheck' i meant crosschecking permissions on shared folders, oracle windows services, dedicated windows user for all oracle services etc), nothing to do with rman crosscheck and delete obsolete If you checked our RMan parameters above, we have a policy of CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 1 DAYS; According to that I should have at least one full backupset in my shared backup folder. However, rman reads/writes on shared folder but it doesnot delete obsolete, so we have more than 2 months backupsets residing in that folder. Thats actually our issue, we are trying to resolve. Regards, Vangelis

• User_A59CO
    User_A59CO Member Posts: 0 Green Ribbon

Were you able to resolve the issue?