• 2,260,440 Discussions
  • 7,896,354 Comments

Discussions

Feature Usage - with and without lisence needed

beckadr
beckadr Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
edited Jan 11, 2016 6:08PM in Database Ideas - Ideas

Hello all,

within DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS you find all features available in each instance. I propose some additional Information: Which Feature is provided by which package (Java, Text, Advanced Compression, Partitioning, a.s.o.) and which of this features need additional licenses.

Best regards

Andreas

top.gunChandrakaanth RamamurthyberxborneselUser259623 -Oraclevinaykumar2pankajrangaManish ChaturveditmbeetzRobertOrteluser1050928Franck PachotCarsten KaftanCbourbou-OracleAndreas HubermarkmevanscaadecarvalhoZedDBActriebLothar FlatzIvica ArsovJohnnq72Martin PreissAnnSjophilippefBrunoVromanKayKBPeaslandDBAfac586JagadekaraPravin Takpirea_nullabhinivesh.jainBrian BakulasysassysdbasvampapGeert GruwezshiwoJ.SchnackenbergMarwimSven W.Chris Huntuser12182396Pini DibaskBeGinuser4854328AndrewSayerChristian ErlingerHenning RindbækApexBinepattonjg2605820N.B.Peter 3051993[Deleted User]3178676PaoloMAndre SantosAparna Dutta-OraclehaarseRaj JamadagniJon TheriaultStew AshtonMettemusens2Ian BaugaardNiels Heckergassenmjjohnnie.billingsShotokanRiaz.Emad Al-MousaPeter_L_BEDEopentuningsRainer StenzelWilliam RobertsonJoerg.SobottkaPeter HraškoMartinDecker_ora-solutionsAlex Lamar-OraclePS_orclNerdFelix ManjarresRJAIMES-SVRostislav Kushnirenkosdstuberandre.psantos
86 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Lothar Flatz
    Lothar Flatz Member Posts: 687 Silver Badge

extremly usefull when you consider how much time is spent by users to answer that question!

Johnnq72borneselAnnSjoApexBine
  • Johnnq72
    Johnnq72 Member Posts: 12

I would root for this! It would prevent a lot of grief.

AnnSjoLothar FlatzApexBine
  • AnnSjo
    AnnSjo Member Posts: 1

Thanks Andreas for initiate this suggestion!

Yes, I believe everybody (both oracle & users) would benefit from a facelift within this area on "guidance-of-options-not-available" due to the license.

Nobody wins anything by this "old-fashioned-way-of-WhenOthers-NOTNULL-message", where the DBA is responsible and need to insure it is not performing something that will violate the license agreement, instead of a modern way message popping up telling her/him "sorry, this requires NN license"

This is not only the case for us StandardEdition fans, but also a DBA on a EE environment need to be sure the Company have purchased a license for those options that are not for free.

So please Oracle could you please add the DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS functionality Andreas are asking for, and a "ModernWorld-WhenOthers-SorryThisRequireALicens"-message to your core.

-Ann Sjökvist

Lothar FlatzborneselApexBineJon Theriault
  • philippef
    philippef Member Posts: 22

would be very good to implement this, to avoid all kinds of discussion ...

Philippe

Lothar FlatzAnnSjo
  • BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond

When it comes to licensing, I welcome more information, not less.

Cheers,
    Brian

AnnSjoApexBineEricKR-Oracle
  • Oracle Support Document 1317265.1 (Database Options/Management Packs Usage Reporting for Oracle Database 11g Release 2) provides 2 very useful sql scripts (Overview and Details) which do map database features to options, based upon the mentioned view. Here a screenshot of my environment:

pastedImage_1.png

Unfortunately, the mappings are only valid for database version 11.2. There is no version for 12c, currently.

Regards

Tino

AnnSjosysassysdbaApexBine
  • Pravin Takpire
    Pravin Takpire Member Posts: 1,762 Gold Trophy

I would recommend to have this feature. Will save lot of energy.

regards

Pravin

AnnSjoJohnnq72ApexBine
  • sysassysdba
    sysassysdba Member Posts: 459 Silver Badge

I agree with this, for example, a lot of dbas uses awr but they don´t know that there is to pay for tuning & diagnostic pack license.

• top.gun
    top.gun Member Posts: 3,666 Gold Crown

You know Oracle are going to hate you for limiting potential future revenue

• Rainer Stenzel
    Rainer Stenzel Member Posts: 63 Bronze Badge

Oracle Support Document 1317265.1 (Database Options/Management Packs Usage Reporting for Oracle Database 11g Release 2) provides 2 very useful sql scripts (Overview and Details) which do map database features to options, based upon the mentioned view. Here a screenshot of my environment:

pastedImage_1.png

Unfortunately, the mappings are only valid for database version 11.2. There is no version for 12c, currently.

Regards

Tino

updated to 12cR2 meanwhile