This site is currently read-only as we are migrating to Oracle Forums for an improved community experience. You will not be able to initiate activity until January 30th, when you will be able to use this site as normal.

Forum Stats

• 3,890,048 Users
  • 2,269,775 Discussions
  • 7,916,823 Comments

Discussions

Feature Usage - with and without lisence needed

beckadr
beckadr Member Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
edited Jan 11, 2016 6:08PM in Database Ideas - Ideas

Hello all,

within DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS you find all features available in each instance. I propose some additional Information: Which Feature is provided by which package (Java, Text, Advanced Compression, Partitioning, a.s.o.) and which of this features need additional licenses.

Best regards

Andreas

top.gunChandrakaanth RamamurthyberxborneselUser259623 -Oraclevinaykumar2pankajrangaManish ChaturveditmbeetzRobertOrteluser1050928Franck PachotCarsten KaftanCbourbou-OracleAndreas HubermarkmevanscaadecarvalhoZedDBActriebLothar FlatzIvica ArsovJohnnq72Martin PreissAnnSjophilippefBrunoVromanKayKBPeaslandDBAfac586JagadekaraPravin Takpirea_nullabhinivesh.jainBrian BakulasysassysdbasvampapGeert GruwezshiwoJ.SchnackenbergMarwimSven W.Chris Huntuser12182396Pini DibaskBeGinuser4854328AndrewSayerChristian ErlingerHenning RindbækApexBinepattonjg2605820N.B.Peter 3051993[Deleted User]3178676PaoloMAndre SantosAparna Dutta-OraclehaarseRaj JamadagniJon TheriaultStew AshtonMettemusens2Ian BaugaardNiels Heckergassenmjjohnnie.billingsShotokanRiaz.Emad Al-MousaPeter_L_BEDEopentuningsRainer StenzelWilliam RobertsonJoerg.SobottkaPeter HraškoMartinDecker_ora-solutionsAlex Lamar-OraclePS_orclNerdFelix ManjarresRJAIMES-SVRostislav Kushnirenkosdstuberandre.psantos
86 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Lothar Flatz
    Lothar Flatz Member Posts: 687 Silver Badge

extremly usefull when you consider how much time is spent by users to answer that question!

Johnnq72borneselAnnSjoApexBine
  • Johnnq72
    Johnnq72 Consultant LobithMember Posts: 12

I would root for this! It would prevent a lot of grief.

AnnSjoLothar FlatzApexBine
  • AnnSjo
    AnnSjo Member Posts: 1

Thanks Andreas for initiate this suggestion!

Yes, I believe everybody (both oracle & users) would benefit from a facelift within this area on "guidance-of-options-not-available" due to the license.

Nobody wins anything by this "old-fashioned-way-of-WhenOthers-NOTNULL-message", where the DBA is responsible and need to insure it is not performing something that will violate the license agreement, instead of a modern way message popping up telling her/him "sorry, this requires NN license"

This is not only the case for us StandardEdition fans, but also a DBA on a EE environment need to be sure the Company have purchased a license for those options that are not for free.

So please Oracle could you please add the DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS functionality Andreas are asking for, and a "ModernWorld-WhenOthers-SorryThisRequireALicens"-message to your core.

-Ann Sjökvist

Lothar FlatzborneselApexBineJon Theriault
  • philippef
    philippef Member Posts: 22

would be very good to implement this, to avoid all kinds of discussion ...

Philippe

Lothar FlatzAnnSjo
  • BPeaslandDBA
    BPeaslandDBA Member Posts: 4,615 Blue Diamond

When it comes to licensing, I welcome more information, not less.

Cheers,
    Brian

AnnSjoApexBineEricKR-Oracle
  • Oracle Support Document 1317265.1 (Database Options/Management Packs Usage Reporting for Oracle Database 11g Release 2) provides 2 very useful sql scripts (Overview and Details) which do map database features to options, based upon the mentioned view. Here a screenshot of my environment:

pastedImage_1.png

Unfortunately, the mappings are only valid for database version 11.2. There is no version for 12c, currently.

Regards

Tino

AnnSjosysassysdbaApexBine
  • Pravin Takpire
    Pravin Takpire Technical Manager BangaloreMember Posts: 1,770 Gold Trophy

I would recommend to have this feature. Will save lot of energy.

regards

Pravin

AnnSjoJohnnq72ApexBine
  • sysassysdba
    sysassysdba SPAINMember Posts: 459 Silver Badge

I agree with this, for example, a lot of dbas uses awr but they don´t know that there is to pay for tuning & diagnostic pack license.

• top.gun
    top.gun Member Posts: 3,666 Gold Crown

You know Oracle are going to hate you for limiting potential future revenue

• Rainer Stenzel
    Rainer Stenzel Member Posts: 64 Bronze Badge

Oracle Support Document 1317265.1 (Database Options/Management Packs Usage Reporting for Oracle Database 11g Release 2) provides 2 very useful sql scripts (Overview and Details) which do map database features to options, based upon the mentioned view. Here a screenshot of my environment:

pastedImage_1.png

Unfortunately, the mappings are only valid for database version 11.2. There is no version for 12c, currently.

Regards

Tino

updated to 12cR2 meanwhile