- 17.9K All Categories
- 3.4K Industry Applications
- 3.4K Intelligent Advisor
- 75 Insurance
- 537.7K On-Premises Infrastructure
- 138.7K Analytics Software
- 38.6K Application Development Software
- 6.1K Cloud Platform
- 109.6K Database Software
- 17.6K Enterprise Manager
- 8.8K Hardware
- 71.3K Infrastructure Software
- 105.4K Integration
- 41.6K Security Software
Oracle Reports as PL/SQL Stored Procedures
Would anyone be interested in a solution & framework that can create Reports generated as Text or HTML output using PL/SQL as the only programming language?
This would be useful for those developers that have skills in PL/SQL and would like to leverage the use of basic & advanced SQL & PL/SQL to create Database Stored Reports and call them within any preferred front-end or back-end technology.
In case those who are familiar with RPT/RPF (Oracle's first reporting language, prior to Oracle Reports), my company had in the past created a PL/SQL Parser that converted RPT/RPF programs into PL/SQL Stored Procedures for a number of global customers to modernize their applications and convert such legacy applications into 10gR2/11gR2 stored procedures and deploy these reports within the Oracle database itself.
The solution consists of the same framework that we had used for the conversion of RPT/RPF into PL/SQL Stored Procedures, and requires one to follow a systematic structure of your Stored Procedure (Report), which would include definition of parameters, variables, cursors, functions, procedures, output layout arrays, and the main report processing logic.
A Package that does the necessary formatting & printing, called from each PL/SQL Stored Report, will also be provided as part of the solution, that is called from various points within your own report to handle the report generation process.
The benefits that this solution offers include:
- Leverage existing expertise within your current environment for those resources having skills in SQL & PL/SQL, instead of having to learn new reporting languages, syntax, tools/IDE operation, etc.
- Easy integration with server-side packages that can email and transfer the output files to the relevant users or folder locations on specific servers for further action.
- Easy integration with front-end technologies such as Oracle Forms, Apex, ADF, .Net, JSP, PHP, Formspider, etc, that can display the generated output within a new browser window upon completion of the report generation task.
- Easy integration with server-side Java stored procedures, if required, to perform complex processing within your report.
- Easy integration with Open Source or 3rd party Print Routing technologies that can send reports output directly to designated printers.
- Easy integration with PDF tools/utilities to produce a PDF report from the original report output.
Kindly provide your comment or directly email to [email protected] to register your interest in such a solution.