• 3,872,013 Users
  • 2,266,363 Discussions
  • 7,911,025 Comments

Discussions

Offline tuning tool

Geert Gruwez
Geert Gruwez Member Posts: 1,011
edited Jan 11, 2016 6:11PM in Database Ideas - Ideas

What if ... you were a dba with a client having only standard edition and you were asked to tune the database.

You would need a wait interface for top events, modules and query hash values ...

Wait interface Top Query hash valueWait interface Top eventsWait interface Top modules
pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.png

And if you needed to tune by resource consumption you would need the top consumption by disk reads and buffer gets.

Top consumption by disk readsTop consumption by buffer gets
pastedImage_4.pngpastedImage_5.png

To be less intrusive it would be best to not store all this data in the database of interest, but on a separate system.

This way the performance monitoring tool has less impact.

Wouldn't it be a great idea if oracle could build us a tool like this ?

All the data is in every oracle database.  The only requirement is to capture some v$sql and v$***stat*** tables.

Why make it so difficult by having to use snapshots for AWR, ADDM, etc ?

ctriebGeert GruwezsysassysdbaPkvinaykumar2Manish ChaturvediborneselLothar FlatzJagadekaraabhinivesh.jainPravin TakpireSven W.
13 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• ctrieb
    ctrieb Member Posts: 314 Gold Trophy

Yes, it is a good idea, but will it not be better to have OEM for SE?

Franck Pachot
  • Lothar Flatz
    Lothar Flatz Member Posts: 687 Silver Badge

As AWR data is concerned there is a product: AWR warehouse. For statspack such tool is missing, granted. However there are enough tools for SE that have very little impact. As far as impact is concerned there is no need for off line tuning.

• Geert Gruwez

As AWR data is concerned there is a product: AWR warehouse. For statspack such tool is missing, granted. However there are enough tools for SE that have very little impact. As far as impact is concerned there is no need for off line tuning.

AWR on a standard edition database ?

• Lothar Flatz
    Lothar Flatz Member Posts: 687 Silver Badge

AWR on a standard edition database ?

I just mention that there is a tool for AWR. Might be helpful since it shows that the idea was adopted for EE.  Sure that is a bit misleading.Sorry. As far as tools for SE tuning I can mention Lighty  from orachrome, Lab128, SASH and there are more.

I would say the impact of tuning tools on SE I think is no more an issue than on EE, but the aspect of having historical data is interesting.

• Geert Gruwez

I just mention that there is a tool for AWR. Might be helpful since it shows that the idea was adopted for EE.  Sure that is a bit misleading.Sorry. As far as tools for SE tuning I can mention Lighty  from orachrome, Lab128, SASH and there are more.

I would say the impact of tuning tools on SE I think is no more an issue than on EE, but the aspect of having historical data is interesting.

i typically delete historical data older than 2 years

it's possible to copy the system to a laptop and do some analysis without having any access to the live database

when having to go to a remote location and being able to do an analysis on the plane, the time on the plane is less of a waste

• AnjulSahu
    AnjulSahu Member Posts: 1

Try EDB360 by Carlos, It collects information for offline analysis. Great for remote diagnostics.

• top.gun
    top.gun Member Posts: 3,666 Gold Crown

I totally agree it's nice to pull data into your laptop for analysis at a more convenient time.

A DBA can script up something to do this, so is there any point to Oracle producing a tool with a nice GUI that is not much better than a script?