• 2,262,546 Discussions
  • 7,901,089 Comments

Discussions

Extend UTL_FILE with function to return list of files in directory

2»

Comments

• Alex.Y.S
    Alex.Y.S Member Posts: 3 Bronze Badge

Considering separation of duties between system and application dbas when the last may not have access to file system, or in the Oracle Cloud with more limitation it's became a necessity.  Why does Amazon RDS provide such option, including Oracle databases, and Oracle cannot for its own benefits?

Chase Marler
  • Racer I.
    Racer I. Member Posts: 113

Me, I'm torn about this. I'd argue that listing files is a security concern. But as you can access any file you happen to know the name of this is at best security by obscurity. Maybe if this is implemented there could also be a CREATE DIRECTORY option to (dis-)allow access to this? Or in the limit there could be individual CREATE FILE commands, where you can only access files that are GRANTED to you (and your own files).

• SM_Work
    SM_Work Member Posts: 90 Bronze Badge

I can only speak for Windows and DOS ... but in those environs, you can, on a server, run task scheduler (on a schedule? on demand?) to run a CMD or BAT file to generate a file that contains a formatted list, with the desired characteristics in it. That's one file, you'd know the name, you could read it, problem solved with existing tech,

• Marwim
    Marwim Member Posts: 3,653 Gold Trophy

I can only speak for Windows and DOS ... but in those environs, you can, on a server, run task scheduler (on a schedule? on demand?) to run a CMD or BAT file to generate a file that contains a formatted list, with the desired characteristics in it. That's one file, you'd know the name, you could read it, problem solved with existing tech,

A lot of moving parts and not to speak about the necessary permissions. If you need tight security it's even more work http://www.oracle-developer.net/display.php?id=513

• SM_Work
    SM_Work Member Posts: 90 Bronze Badge

A lot of moving parts and not to speak about the necessary permissions. If you need tight security it's even more work http://www.oracle-developer.net/display.php?id=513

Yeah, maybe ... but in my case, they're "my" servers, so I can do that. It's not really that hard ... Task scheduler can be made to run in a variety of ways. I have some procedures that cross a bunch of boundaries and email me everyday ... at 6am, I know my databases are up, the prod servers are up, email is functioning for the users ... there may be other things wrong, but the basics are good. And when I do _not_ get those notices ... (2x in past year), something indeed WAS wrong, in one case, affecting developers, in other affecting users. Very cheap insurance in a lack-luster support environ.