• 3,824,946 Users
  • 2,260,442 Discussions
  • 7,896,356 Comments

Discussions

Why not have comment on sequnce?

BEDE
BEDE Oracle DeveloperMember Posts: 2,422 Gold Trophy
edited Jul 6, 2018 3:45AM in Database Ideas - Ideas

For easier documenting the database. Like we have coment on table, wouldn't it be good to have comment on sequence?

Like:

comment on sequence x_sequence is 'used for x_table.id column'

;

I know that we may have comment on x_table.id is 'primary key populated using sequence' and that in 12c there is the possibility to associate a sequence to a given column. But what if, for some reason, a given sequence is used in different ways that are would not be so straightforward?

Sven W.KayKblessed DBAEvandro Lima-Oracleberxuser11970842
6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• GregV
    GregV Member Posts: 3,085 Gold Crown

Thsi idea can be included in the one already suggested:

Generally I think it would good to allow for comments on all objects.

Sven W.William RobertsonMike KutzGerald Venzl-Oracle
  • Gerald Venzl-Oracle
    Gerald Venzl-Oracle Member, Moderator Posts: 85 Employee

I agree, this should be treated as a duplicate under the more generic idea

• User_PN1D5
    User_PN1D5 Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Hello

GregV, My name is Daniel Ruperto Student from UPPR (Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico) I'm working on the Intern Project in one local Company where I need to fix performance issues with Oracle Query. The program is made in C# (Web method) where uses a query to insert each parameter in the oracle database by "for loop". My project is to search for an alternative to collect all parameters and inert only with one call.

Oracle Version:

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.4.0 - 64bi

PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

CORE 10.2.0.4.0 Production

TNS for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production

Logic is something like:

***  public const string TableInsert  = @Insert into MyTable values (:param0,:param1,:param2,:param3,:param4,:param5,:param6,:param7); my problem is I'm using a for loop to pass different parameter to insert few rows depend of Data.counts. using a For Loop. my problem is performance is struggle by oracle call in each insert. It is possible to insert a list of each parameter? something like IN statement?

I try Something like:  Insert into MyTable values IN (List0,List1,List2,List3,List4,List5,List6,List7)" but statement is wrong. Please any suggestions.

FYI

Actually parameters are something like:

List 1 = ABC,ABC1,ABC2,ABC3...N   Where n = Data.counts

List 2 = ABC,ABC1,ABC2,ABC3...N

List 3 = ABC,ABC1,ABC2,ABC3...N

List 4 = ABC,ABC1,ABC2,ABC3...N

List 8

Thanks

• Sven W.
    Sven W. Member Posts: 10,535 Gold Crown
    edited Feb 19, 2020 3:04AM

Hello

GregV, My name is Daniel Ruperto Student from UPPR (Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico) I'm working on the Intern Project in one local Company where I need to fix performance issues with Oracle Query. The program is made in C# (Web method) where uses a query to insert each parameter in the oracle database by "for loop". My project is to search for an alternative to collect all parameters and inert only with one call.

Oracle Version:

Logic is something like:

***  public const string TableInsert  = @Insert into MyTable values (:param0,:param1,:param2,:param3,:param4,:param5,:param6,:param7); my problem is I'm using a for loop to pass different parameter to insert few rows depend of Data.counts. using a For Loop. my problem is performance is struggle by oracle call in each insert. It is possible to insert a list of each parameter? something like IN statement?

I try Something like:  Insert into MyTable values IN (List0,List1,List2,List3,List4,List5,List6,List7)" but statement is wrong. Please any suggestions.

FYI

List 8

Thanks

--- duplicate post because of forum glitches deleted ---

• Sven W.
    Sven W. Member Posts: 10,535 Gold Crown

Hello

Oracle Version:

Logic is something like:

FYI

List 8

Thanks

Hello 4190280,

Welcome to the forum.  Please understand that your post is totally off topic.
    This is the space where suggestions for enhancements to the oracle database are made. The "ideas space".
    It is the thread where one forum member suggested to add comments to sequences.

Nothing your post indicates that you want to contribute to this idea.

If you seek help, then please consider to repeat this question inside the plsql space here: I'm not sure if that is the best lace however. You can open a new discussion there under Menu point "Actions"/"Discussion" (Way to hard to find I believe).

Btw. what you want can be done using FORALL in plsql. For information about array binds in C#, you should go and ask inside some C# forum.

Regards

Sven

William Robertson
  • User_PN1D5
    User_PN1D5 Member Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Hello 4190280,

Welcome to the forum.  Please understand that your post is totally off topic.
    This is the space where suggestions for enhancements to the oracle database are made. The "ideas space".
    It is the thread where one forum member suggested to add comments to sequences.

Nothing your post indicates that you want to contribute to this idea.

If you seek help, then please consider to repeat this question inside the plsql space here: I'm not sure if that is the best lace however. You can open a new discussion there under Menu point "Actions"/"Discussion" (Way to hard to find I believe).

Btw. what you want can be done using FORALL in plsql. For information about array binds in C#, you should go and ask inside some C# forum.

Regards

Sven

ok

Thanks for details