• 3,824,847 Users
  • 2,260,430 Discussions
  • 7,896,330 Comments

Discussions

DBCA support for bigfile tablespaces

Franck Pachot
Franck Pachot Member Posts: 912 Bronze Trophy
edited Jun 12, 2019 4:29PM in Database Ideas - Ideas

Currently, DBCA creates all datafiles as smallfile tablespaces.

This can be manually changed when generating the scripts (-generateScripts) by adding SET DEFAULT BIGFILE in the CREATE DATABASE statement just before LOGFILE GROUP

A command line option would be nice, something like useBigFile <true | false > which defaults to false but can be set to true.

L. FernigriniMarkus Flechtneruser11988895Denis AxlerBeGinDirk.NachbarSven_SAndreas HuberBPeaslandDBA
9 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• L. Fernigrini
    L. Fernigrini Data Engineer Sr Consultant Member Posts: 3,834 Silver Crown

When you mention:

A command line option would be nice, something like useBigFile <true | false > which defaults to false but can be set to true.

That means a command line option additional to having the option on the GUI or just the command line? I would suggest having both of them. I have just reviewed the DBCA graphical installation and did not found the option there.

• User9942590-Oracle
    User9942590-Oracle Member Posts: 1 Employee

When you mention:

That means a command line option additional to having the option on the GUI or just the command line? I would suggest having both of them. I have just reviewed the DBCA graphical installation and did not found the option there.

Currently, dbca template (.dbt file) has an option to specify bigFile=True/False for corresponding tablespace.

We can provide a command line argument for this in 20c. But the feed back I want here is, do you want all tablespaces (system, sysaux, etc) to be big file OR just user tablespace?

Mike Kutz
  • Billy Verreynne
    Billy Verreynne Software Engineer Member Posts: 28,816 Red Diamond

Currently, dbca template (.dbt file) has an option to specify bigFile=True/False for corresponding tablespace.

We can provide a command line argument for this in 20c. But the feed back I want here is, do you want all tablespaces (system, sysaux, etc) to be big file OR just user tablespace?

I would say for user tablespaces only. It would be extremely unusual for a today's database, to have system based tablespaces that are TB's in size.

• Sven_S
    Sven_S Member Posts: 10 Blue Ribbon

We would like an easy possibility to switch all tablespaces to bigfile.

And I would also suggest to use bigfile tablespaces as default.

I don't see any benefit in using smallfile tablespaces anymore because the use of ASM is very common nowadays.

It is also very common to have DBs with very large TMP, UNDO and SYSAUX (Auditing) tablespaces with hundrets of gigabytes and it is a pain if you have to manually add datafiles to a smallfile tablespace to let them grow.

• REISO
    REISO Member Posts: 1

I agree with Sven.

If we want just one tbs then bigFile=True/False in .dbt is enough.

I do think however that it would make sense to have it as command line option/argument that would dot it for all (system/wide).