• 2,260,430 Discussions
  • 7,896,330 Comments

Discussions

Adding an extra parameter annotation or comment

Quanwen Zhao
Quanwen Zhao Member Posts: 592 Blue Ribbon
edited Jul 20, 2020 3:21AM in Database Ideas - Ideas

Hello, my guys and friends ,

When finished tackling the problem by Why client_info in v$session never show IP address even if creating trigger acquiring IP? and https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:116156836395685::::P11_QUESTION_ID:9543192700346829856 I realised that the value of the hidden parameter "_system_trig_enabled" existing on the oracle database had been modified by the former DBA (the default values is TRUE).

So far I don't know the reason why he modify it even if I am able to find out the alter statement on the ALERT log file. Hence I abruptly have a nice idea in my mind - expecting to add an extra parameter annotation or comment on the alter statement, such as, "ALTER SESSION/SYSTEM SET hidden_parameter_name=true/false SCOPE=SPFILE/MEMORY/BOTH annotation/comment=......" in particular setting the boolean value of the hidden parameter on the future new version of oracle database as a NEW FEATURE to enhance/improve the function.

Very simple, with the annotation or comment to have a detailed explanation why you modify the value of hidden parameter.

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

Quanwen ZhaoahgonzalezUser_BQM3NDenis AxlerSven W.
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• User51642 Yong Huang
    User51642 Yong Huang Member Posts: 164 Bronze Badge

You mean, allow to add a comment to a parameter? It's already done. For undocumented parameters, you obviously have to query the x$ table:

SQL> alter system set "_system_trig_enabled"=false comment='changed on 2020-0722';

System altered.

Login as sys:

SQL> select ksppstcmnt from x$ksppsv where indx=(select indx from x$ksppi where ksppinm='_system_trig_enabled');

KSPPSTCMNT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

changed on 2020-0722

Quanwen ZhaoSven W.
  • Quanwen Zhao
    Quanwen Zhao Member Posts: 592 Blue Ribbon

You mean, allow to add a comment to a parameter? It's already done. For undocumented parameters, you obviously have to query the x$ table:

SQL> alter system set "_system_trig_enabled"=false comment='changed on 2020-0722';

System altered.

Login as sys:

SQL> select ksppstcmnt from x$ksppsv where indx=(select indx from x$ksppi where ksppinm='_system_trig_enabled');

KSPPSTCMNT

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

changed on 2020-0722

Yes, thank you for reminding me, Yong Huang .

From the online doc of 11.2 (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e41084/statements_2014.htm#SQLRF00902 ), I am able to find the additional parameter comment in the clause "ALTER SYSTEM SET ......".

1.png

2.png

After posting this idea, waiting for a while I found it from oracle official documentation.

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao