Forum Stats

• 3,783,315 Users
  • 2,254,756 Discussions
  • 7,880,359 Comments

Discussions

PDF Viewer for Oracle Linux - Okular

David Gilpin-Oracle
David Gilpin-Oracle Principal Product Manager, Oracle Linux and VirtualizationFrisco, TXPosts: 38 Employee
edited Dec 12, 2019 4:29PM in Oracle Linux

Overview

The standard PDF viewer included with the GNOME environment in Oracle Linux 7 is Document Viewer from Evince. While it is a decent PDF viewing utility, it is missing some features. I have found another PDF utility for Oracle Linux that provides some cool features.

Background

When we show Oracle Linux on a laptop (Server with GUI) at conferences and events, we want to display slides about Oracle Linux as an "attention-grabber". While Microsoft PowerPoint can easily do looping presentations, PowerPoint is not available on Linux. The default PDF viewer included in the Oracle Linux 7 GNOME environment (Document Viewer) is missing two desired key features: (1) no way to auto advance slides, and (2) no way to set the presentation to loop over and over until manually interrupted.

Adobe Acrobat Viewer was a viable alternative as it did have a looping feature, but Adobe has discontinued development of Acrobat for Linux. The last release is quite old (circa 2013), requires 32-bit dependencies and is no longer available on any Adobe Yum repositories. It is not available on EPEL, either. I decided that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux was too risky and too much trouble.

In preparation for our recent Oracle Open World event, I did some more research and discovered a great PDF viewer for Linux... Okular

Even though Okular is part of the KDE environment, I found that it works great under GNOME. And it is easy to install and configure.

Installation, Configuration, and Use

Okular is included in the Oracle Linux 7 Latest channel, and it does not have any dependencies to any other channel. It is very easy to install. Simply run the following command (as root):

# yum install okular

The icon for Okular will be in Applications - Graphics

pastedImage_6.png

To configure Okular to advance slides automatically after a delay, and to set up looping mode - go to Settings - Configure Okular

pastedImage_7.png

Click the Advance every: check box and set the slide display time. To loop until interrupted, click the Loop after last page check box. Don't forget to click Apply, then OK:

pastedImage_10.png

To begin a looping presentation, File - Open in Okular then View - Presentation (keyboard shortcut for Presentation mode is Ctrl+Shift+P)

To change the default association in GNOME from Document Viewer to Okular, in the Files app Right Click on a PDF file, then click Properties

pastedImage_6.png

Click the Open With menu, then click Okular, then click Set as default

pastedImage_7.png

This will set Okular as the default PDF viewer for all PDF files for this specific Oracle Linux user.

I hope you find Okular to be a helpful PDF viewer for Oracle Linux!