• 3,838,863 Users
  • 2,262,407 Discussions
  • 7,900,774 Comments

Discussions

Known Issues in Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 Beta Release

Simon Coter-Oracle
Simon Coter-Oracle Member Posts: 77 Employee
edited Jan 8, 2020 5:42PM in Oracle Linux and UEK Preview
Oracle Linux BETA releases are not supported by Oracle and should not be used in production environments. Oracle provides Beta releases to customers and partners for development, test and QA purposes.

Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 is now available as Beta Release for both x86_64 and aarch64 architectures.

To get started with Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 Beta Release, you can simply perform a fresh installation by using the ISO images available for download from Oracle Technology Network.

Or, you can perform an upgrade from an existing Oracle Linux 7 installation by using the Beta channels for Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 on the Oracle Linux yum server or the Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN).

# vi /etc/yum.repos.d/oracle-linux-ol7.repo

[ol7_beta]
name=Oracle Linux $releasever Update 8 Beta ($basearch)
baseurl=https://yum$ociregion.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/beta/$basearch/
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

[ol7_optional_beta]
name=Oracle Linux $releasever Update 8 Beta ($basearch) Optional
baseurl=https://yum$ociregion.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/optional/beta/$basearch/
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-oracle
gpgcheck=1enabled=1

Known Issues

Installation, Upgrade, and Boot Issues

Upgrade from ULN fails if the openscap-containers package is installed (Bug 30686371)

Upgrading from Oracle Linux 7 Update 7 to Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 by installing packages from ULN fails if the openscap-containers package is already installed on the system that you are upgrading.

You can prevent this issue from occurring by removing the openscap-containers package prior to upgrading to Oracle Linux 7 Update 8:

# yum -y remove openscap-containers

Booting Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 might fail on systems that use certain CPU types (Bug 30598533)

Booting Oracle Linux 7 Update 8 might fail on systems that fulfill the following criteria:

• The system uses EFI boot.
  • The processors have the PCID feature and not the INVPCID_SINGLE feature.
  • Kernel Page Table Isolation is enabled.

The types of systems that are affected by this issue include the following:

• 1st generation Intel Core i3, i5, and i7 processors
  • Intel Xeon E series
  • Intel Xeon v2

The workaround for this issue is to disable the Page Table Isolation feature by adding the nopti option to the system's kernel command line.

Upgrade fails if open files limit is too low and rpm-plugin-systemd-inhibit is installed (Bug 28720235)

An upgrade from Oracle Linux 7 Update 6 can fail if the log-in session open files limit is set too low and the system that is being upgraded includes multiple packages from many channels or repositories. This issue can be triggered if the rpm-plugin-systemd-inhibit package is installed and the session is configured for a maximum open file limit that is lower than 4096. The issue typically results in yum failing to update and error messages similar to the following:

Verifying : glib2-static-2.56.1-1.el7.i686
glib2-static-2.56.1-1.el7.i686 was supposed to be installed but is not!

To resolve this issue, set the open file limit to 4096 before running yum update:

# ulimit -n 4096
# yum update -y

32-bit RDMA packages are installed when upgrading a system that has rdma-core installed (Bug 28217831)

For upgrades prior to Oracle Linux 7 Update 4, where the rdma-core.noarch package is installed, 32-bit versions of the packages and many dependencies are also installed, unnecessarily. This problem occurs because the original version of the package is obsoleted. Thus, during upgrade, the package is replaced with both the rdma-core.i686 and rdma-core.x86_64 versions of the package, along with those packages' dependencies.

To work around the issue, run the yum update command with the --exclude=\*.i686 option:

# yum update --exclude=\*.i686

Package Conflict: PackageKit.i686 and PackageKit.x86_64 (Bug 24963661)

The PackageKit.i686 package in the ol7_x86_64_optional_latest ULN channel conflicts with the PackageKit.x86_64 package in the ol7_x86_64_u6_base channel. Attempting to install both packages results in a transaction check error similar to the following:

Transaction check error:
file /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/packagekit/__init__.pyc from install
of PackageKit-version.el7.i686 conflicts with file from package
PackageKit-version.el7.x86_64
file /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/packagekit/__init__.pyo from install
of PackageKit-version.el7.i686 conflicts with file from package
PackageKit-version.el7.x86_64

You may only install one of these packages on the same system at the same time. To avoid this conflict, exclude the PackageKit.i686 package in your yum configuration. For more information about how to exclude packages, see Oracle® Linux: Unbreakable Linux Network User's Guide for Oracle Linux 6 and Oracle Linux 7.

File Systems Issues

XFS: No support for reflink feature in RHCK (Bug 30119906)

If an XFS file system is created with support for the reflink feature with the UEK R5 kernel, you cannot mount the XFS file system with the RHCK kernel. It can only be mounted as a read-only file system.

XFS: No support for real-time devices in RHCK (Bug 30115269)

If an XFS file system is created with support for real-time devices with the UEK R5 kernel, you cannot mount the XFS file system with the RHCK kernel.

Snapshots of KVM guests that use UEFI fail and are unsupported (Bug 26826800)

You cannot create snapshots of KVM guests if they use UEFI. In older versions of QEMU and libvirt, the tools might allow you to create the snapshot without an error or warning, but the snapshot could be corrupted. More recent versions of these tools prevent snapshot creation by producing an error similar to the following:

virsh # snapshot-create-as OL7-seboot
error: Operation not supported: internal snapshots of a VM with pflash based
firmware are not supported