- 17.9K All Categories
- 3.3K Industry Applications
- 3.2K Intelligent Advisor
- 59 Insurance
- 534.1K On-Premises Infrastructure
- 137.6K Analytics Software
- 38.5K Application Development Software
- 5.3K Cloud Platform
- 109.1K Database Software
- 17.5K Enterprise Manager
- 8.8K Hardware
- 70.8K Infrastructure Software
- 105.1K Integration
- 41.5K Security Software
Using Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service
by Dean Halbeisen
Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service provides secure and scalable storage for backing up Oracle Database to Oracle Cloud. This article provides information on getting started using Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service.
Table of Contents
The procedures in this article work on any system type, and they have been verified on Oracle's SPARC servers, Oracle MiniCluster, Oracle SuperCluster, and Oracle Exadata systems.
For more detailed information, refer to the Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service online documentation.
The procedures in this article assume the following steps have already been completed:
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c has been installed.
- Oracle Database has been installed and a database has been registered with Oracle Enterprise Manager 13c.
Getting Started with Database Backup and Recovery
The following steps illustrate how to get started with database backup and recovery using Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c.
- From the Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c dashboard, select Targets > Databases.
Figure 1. Choose Databases from the list of targets.
- Select a database target. This example uses the database target oosbur1z3o.
Figure 2. Select a database target.
- To configure the backup settings for this database, select Availability > Backup & Recovery > Backup Settings.
Figure 3. Select the option to configure backup settings.
- Log in to the database using the saved credentials from the database setup procedure. Enter the username and password and then click Login.
Figure 4. Log in to the database.
- Click the Oracle Cloud Backup Service Settings link to configure the settings.
Figure 5. Configure Oracle Cloud Backup settings. (Note: In the screenshot above, "Oracle Cloud Backup Service" should instead say "Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service.")
- Complete the Oracle Cloud Backup Service Settings page. Enter the requested information, and then click Save.
Figure 6. Enter the Oracle Cloud Backup Service settings.
- Click OK to confirm the Oracle Cloud Backup Service settings have been saved.
Figure 7. Confirm the Oracle Cloud Backup Service settings have been saved.
- Enter database host credentials: Under the Host Credentials section, enter the username and password, select None for Run Privilege, and enter the name for the backup job in the Save As field. Then click Submit to submit the job.
Figure 8. Enter database host credentials and submit the job.
- A hyperlink for the job is displayed. Click this link to monitor the backup configuration procedure.
Figure 9. Monitor the backup configuration procedure using the provided hyperlink.
- View the backup configuration procedure results and details.
Figure 10. Backup configuration procedure results and details.
- Click Cancel to exit the Oracle Cloud Backup Service settings page.
Figure 11. Oracle Cloud Backup Service settings.
Scheduling a Backup
The following steps illustrate how to schedule a backup using Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c.
- To schedule a backup, select Availability > Backup & Recovery > Schedule Backup.
Figure 12. Schedule a backup.
- Click Schedule Oracle-Suggested Backup.
Figure 13. Select the option for an Oracle-suggested backup.
- Choose the destination media. Select the Tape option, and then click Next.
Figure 14. Choose the destination media.
- Update the tape settings as desired, and then click Next. This example uses 16 tape drives and a recovery window of 8 days.
Figure 15. Update the tape settings.
- Update the schedule settings as desired, and then click Next.
Figure 16. Update the schedule settings.
- Review the settings, and then click Submit Job.
Figure 17. Review the settings and submit the backup job.
Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service Management and Monitoring
This section provides an example of managing the cloud-related portion of the database backup and recovery service. The next section shows how to manage and monitor the database backup and recovery activity.
The following steps illustrate how to perform management and monitoring of backup processes in Oracle Cloud.
- Go to cloud.oracle.com and sign in to your Oracle Cloud account.
Figure 18. Sign in to Oracle Cloud.
The Oracle Cloud My Services dashboard is displayed.
Figure 19. The Oracle Cloud My Services dashboard.
- Customize the Oracle Cloud My Services dashboard. Click Customize Dashboard, and then drag the Database Backup module to the upper left of the dashboard for ease of access.
Figure 20. Customize the Oracle Cloud My Services dashboard.
- Display the Oracle Database Backup Service overview by clicking either the title or the graph in the Database Backup module (see Figure 20).
Figure 21. Oracle Database Backup Service overview.
- Click the Billing Metrics tab on the left to display billing metrics for this database backup service.
Figure 22. Billing metrics for Oracle Database Backup Service.
- Click the Documents tab on the left to display billing history (if any) for this database backup service.
Figure 23. Documents for the Oracle Database Backup Service.
Backup and Recovery Management and Monitoring
The following steps illustrate how Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c can be used to manage and monitor backup and recovery of databases to Oracle Cloud.
- Open the Oracle Enterprise Manger Cloud Control 13c dashboard, and then click the Last Backup link (on the right of the dashboard) to display information about the most recent backup.
Figure 24. Use the Last Backup link to display information about the most recent backup.
- A list of database backups is displayed. Click the link for a backup job to display detailed job reporting. This example selects the most recent backup (the top entry in the list).
Figure 25. Select a job from the list of backup jobs for a database.
- View detailed job reporting for the selected backup job.
Figure 26. Detailed backup job information.
- To manage scheduling with Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c, select Enterprise > Job > Activity.
Figure 27. Manage scheduling with Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- A list of jobs is displayed. You can click the name of a backup job to edit that job's schedule.
Figure 28. Display job activity.
For more information, please see the following resources:
- Oracle Database Backup Cloud Service documentation library
- "Using Oracle Optimized Solution for Secure Backup and Recovery with Oracle MiniCluster"
- "Using Oracle Optimized Solution for Secure Backup and Recovery with Oracle SuperCluster"
About the Author
Dean Halbeisen is a solutions manager at Oracle. He has over 20 years of IT experience and is an expert in enterprise computing solutions, most recently applying these practices to next-generation data center solutions, integrated systems, and Oracle engineered systems. In his current role, he is responsible for solution architecture and development around Oracle Optimized Solutions, including communicating about Oracle's systems, solutions, technology strategies, and roadmaps to customers, partners, and internal stakeholders.