• 2,251,416 Discussions
  • 7,870,257 Comments

Discussions

Migrate Oracle VM to Oracle Linux KVM

Comments

• user1764887
    user1764887 Member Posts: 5 Red Ribbon
    edited May 11, 2020 8:00AM

looks interesting. I can't wait to let old ovm/xen die it's peaceful death.

I just wish oracle adopted a more recent ovirt version. lots of bugfixes are between oracle chosen version (4.3.6) and the current ovirt release (4.3.9). I hope they won't go the same way as they did with ovm (=very old xen version)

• Simon Coter-Oracle
    Simon Coter-Oracle Member Posts: 68 Employee

looks interesting. I can't wait to let old ovm/xen die it's peaceful death.

I just wish oracle adopted a more recent ovirt version. lots of bugfixes are between oracle chosen version (4.3.6) and the current ovirt release (4.3.9). I hope they won't go the same way as they did with ovm (=very old xen version)

OLVM development is active and we're targeting both updated release of oVirt 4.3 as well as oVirt 4.4.

Thanks

Simon

1897308 Member Posts: 3

thanks for creating the documentation. will this be same approach for OVM guest using physical emc luns, wondering if there are other approach for migration.

• Simon Coter-Oracle

thanks for creating the documentation. will this be same approach for OVM guest using physical emc luns, wondering if there are other approach for migration.

There's a dedicated document for the migration from OVM to OLVM; please, see:

3042767 Member Posts: 1

Thanks for this Simon, would you expect something to replace the OVM templates that were available for deploying things like Oracle database but for OLVM, some Ansible playbooks perhaps?  Not happy to be migrating but I think in the long run OLVM/Ovirt-kvm will be the better choice so I see it.  This doc certainly appreciated.

• Simon Coter-Oracle

Thanks for this Simon, would you expect something to replace the OVM templates that were available for deploying things like Oracle database but for OLVM, some Ansible playbooks perhaps?  Not happy to be migrating but I think in the long run OLVM/Ovirt-kvm will be the better choice so I see it.  This doc certainly appreciated.

We're working on Templates for OL-KVM, no ETA actually.

There's a dedicated document for the migration from OVM to OLVM; please, see:

thanks for your reply Simon. do you mean "Migration and Physical Disks management" point in the document.

Since we are going use the same physical disk in OVM and KVM environment. will the disk name be same in the new environment? do you expect any data copy during the migration?

Regards,

Amar

• Simon Coter-Oracle

thanks for your reply Simon. do you mean "Migration and Physical Disks management" point in the document.

Since we are going use the same physical disk in OVM and KVM environment. will the disk name be same in the new environment? do you expect any data copy during the migration?

Regards,

Amar

If you follow the steps described on the document, your physical disks will be converted to virtual-ones on OLVM.

If you follow the steps described on the document, your physical disks will be converted to virtual-ones on OLVM.

Hi Simon, we don't want to user virtual ones, we want to retain the physical disk for performance reasons. do we have procedure to use the same physical disks.

• Simon Coter-Oracle

Hi Simon, we don't want to user virtual ones, we want to retain the physical disk for performance reasons. do we have procedure to use the same physical disks.

You should be able to present the same disk and get the same associated to your VM running on KVM.

That said, I would suggest you to evaluate the switch to virtual-disks that will also give you the option to get full VM snapshots.