• 2,262,206 Discussions
  • 7,900,146 Comments

Discussions

Upgrade HFM 11.1.2.4.206 to 11.2.2

Thanos A
Thanos A Consolidation System ManagerMember Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy
edited Oct 6, 2020 6:04PM in Financial Consolidation

Hi everyone,

Has anyone noticed a significant reduction in performance after patching 11.1.2.4.206?

I have tried the PSU207, 208, 209 and 11.2.2 and it seems that consolidation time increase at least 2times.

I am testing on AWS servers m5.4xlarge with SQL database.

I have already created a ticket with MySupport but I am curious to see if anyone else had a similar issue

Thank you,

Thanos

Tagged:

Answers

• Jeo123
    Jeo123 Member Posts: 515 Gold Badge
    edited Oct 6, 2020 10:20PM

You're probably running into the calcstatus performance bug.

.206 suffered from a bug where calc status tables could have issues. As a result, they rewrote the way the calc status was tracked for the data cubes(I believe it was basically that they read it from disk instead of using a cache). I think that happened in .207.

This solved the bug where a load could happen while a consolidation was running and the parent would be at OK status, but the children were impacted.

The trade off though was a huge drop in performance. There should be an application setting(UseCalcStatusCacheDuringConsol) that you can change to go back to the old faster way... but it comes with the calc status risk.

FYI - The CS issue can be resolved by just running a consolidate all with data. It was worth having to run that vs the performance hit.

https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/Enterprise%20Performance%20Management%20and%20Business%20Intelligence/2512975_1.html

Thanos A
  • Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy
    edited Oct 7, 2020 7:06AM

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, I am aware of the bug and the UseCalcStatusCacheDuringConsol. However, even when I disable the performance is terrible.

I have built 3 systems to test the performance.. 1 that is patched from 206 to 208, 1 that is vanilla 208 and 11.2... and I have used 3 different apps 1 with consolidations enabled, one without consolidations and one from that I got from another consultant.

Personally, I believe that there is a performance issue with HS.Cons but I am not sure how to prove it and convince Oracle Support that there is a problem.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Thanos

• Vasantha Kumar
    Vasantha Kumar Member Posts: 59 Bronze Badge

Hi @Thanos A ,

We had applied 209 at couple of customers and did not see any issue with the consolidation performance. May be you can try the .209 patch and see. But yes we had faced the consolidation takes more time with .207 patch.

Thanks,

Vasanth

Thanos AAnand Thota
  • Thanos A
    Thanos A Consolidation System Manager Member Posts: 1,443 Silver Trophy

Hi Vasantha,

Yes, I agree with you that it may be the 207 patch.

However, my company is upgrading from 206 to 11.2 and business will sign off the tests for the specific PSUs and it is really difficult to convince them that the 11.2 is a better version. For the time-being, I have raised a ticket to Oracle MySupport and waiting.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Thanos

• Jeo123

Hmm, that's a bit more perplexing. Just to clarify though, the fix is to enable using the old logic by setting it to 1. It's not a disable.

We have a custom HS.Cons logic in our current application and while the CS issue definitely impacted our consol time, we haven't seen any huge performance hits by upgrading once that's accounted for. We use the HS.Cons as part of how we calculate C2, so if that function had an issue, it seems we would have seen it.

If you benchmark your consolidation using the normal consolidate routine vs the rules you use, do you see a performance difference?

I would think that if you can prove to support that "with this rule in it's bad" vs "with this rule out it's good" should be the evidence. It's just a little hard to speculate having not encountered that.

• Jeo123

Just FYI, we started seeing performance issues on 11.2.2 as well, but when we went up to 11.2.3, they seemed to be resolved. No patch notes indicated this would be fixed, but our times are definitely better.

11.2.3 fixed an issue where users couldn't post if their browser was in a language other than english(present in both 11.2.1 and 11.2.2) so I'd highly suggest giving the newest version a try.