Create a pointer record (PTR) for reserved public IP address — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,700,898 Users
  • 2,239,234 Discussions
  • 7,834,907 Comments

Discussions

Create a pointer record (PTR) for reserved public IP address

User_9AEGLUser_9AEGL Posts: 3 Newbie

I need to create a pointer record (PTR) for a reserved public IP address provided by Oracle.

I checked article Setting Up Reverse DNS Zones in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Documentation.

I attempted to create the reversed DNS zone following the instructions provided in that article, but I receive the following error message:

Authorization failed or requested resource already exists.

For example, let's say my reserved public IP address is 193.193.193.193. I have already tried creating the following DNS zones: 193-32.193.193.193.in-addr.arpa and 193.193.193.in-addr.arpa. But I receive the above error message.

I only need this for this particular record.

Answers

• RotBlitzRotBlitz Posts: 142 Red Ribbon

Did you check that your IP address possibly already has a PTR record?

• User_8H0DVUser_8H0DV Posts: 5 Newbie

@User_9AEGL,

I agree it could be that the IP address for which you are trying to create a pointer record has already a pointer record.

• User_9AEGLUser_9AEGL Posts: 3 Newbie

I have checked. There is no PTR record for my reserved IP. No reverse DNS zone is created in my tenant either.

Well, only the owner of the IP address (normally your ISP) can set up a PTR record or can allow delegation of your reverse DNS zone, so that you can setup the record yourself. So, the first step is always to contact this owner to see what your options and zone details are.

From the article you mentioned (https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/DNS/Tasks/reversedns.htm)

"Before getting started with setting up reverse DNS within your Oracle Cloud Infrastructure account, contact your IP provider and confirm that they allow delegation of your reverse DNS zone. If they do not allow delegation, typically they can host your pointer record (PTR) for you and no reverse DNS configurations are required within your Oracle Cloud Infrastructure account. If they do allow delegation, confirm the exact syntax of the reverse DNS hostname with them, as some providers use slashes and some use dashes. Additionally, if you are delegating a reverse DNS zone, confirm that this zone matches exactly what you configure in your Oracle Cloud Infrastructure account as this is necessary in order for delegation to work properly."

User_9AEGL
  • User_9AEGLUser_9AEGL Posts: 3 Newbie

Thank you. What you said is applicable if I'm bringing my own IP addresses. I am using a reserved public IP from OCI. The ISP is Oracle in this case.

I ran out of ideas. Your best bet is to contact Oracle/Dyn support directly.

User_9AEGL

I found https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/discussion/4346723/ptr-record-from-a-oracles-ip-to-a-domain which indicates that it is not possible to create a PTR record with OCI.