YUM package mirrors — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,708,778 Users
  • 2,241,125 Discussions
  • 7,840,609 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YUM package mirrors

Andreas SteinelAndreas Steinel Posts: 9 Green Ribbon

Hi,

why are there no YUM package mirrors available? Why is yum.oracle.com not rsyncable? Mirroring the official YUM server yourself takes ages due to the not-optimal implementation of reposync.

Answers

• Sven JansenSven Jansen Posts: 16 Green Ribbon

That is one of the reasons why i use Foreman with Katello, i mirror updates to that repo every night. Its a bit annoying that OL removed subscription-manager from the repos but i solved it by building my own version from sources an provide it as a repo for my OL7/8 installation templates.

• Andreas SteinelAndreas Steinel Posts: 9 Green Ribbon

That you Sven for you answer.

I also mirror everything, but compared to other RHEL-clones, the mirror availability is actually non-existent and I have only a few MB/s mirroring OL packages from the official oracle yum server. It took me days to setup the mirror. Nonetheless, it is doable by mirroring with reposync but it is very, very slow compared to just rsyncing an already available mirror.

I improved the sync speed by using the OL8 reposync for the job, the older reposync works fine, but is even slower.

• Ryan DeckerRyan Decker Posts: 4 Green Ribbon

I will gladly host a public mirror if I can get the blessing of Oracle. Now that CentOS is dead this is an excellent opportunity for Oracle to establish itself in the community. Hopefully users won't be to dissuaded by the fact that you need an Oracle account to obtain the isos.

edited December 2020

For ISOs you can use the (official) mirrors, they exist, but not the package mirror itself.

Yea I am interested in mirroring the package mirror. We provide support for a locked down "science" network that doesn't have public internet access but does have access to our mirror service. If I am going to be able to support OL there I need to have a package mirror that those hosts can access. Besides we host a lot of other linux distributions so might as well.

http://mirror.siena.edu

I mostly use OL7/8 except for some RH upstream projects (like oVirt, ManageIQ, Foreman). RH is no real alternative for the community, because you are not even allowed to build packages on RH for public distribution due to license issues. Building stuff on CentOS Stream is not working with OL and RH due to package versions. So lets hope the community is adopting OL and Oracle continue to provide us with a free OL distribution.

You can just create it with reposync from OL8, but my problem is the speed or better the lack thereof, but technically it just works fine.

Have you had real problems in building packages on CentOS and running them on OL? I do that too for OL5-8, but haven't had any binary incompatibility issue so far. Code is working fine in OL, CentOS and RHEL.

I am not speaking about now, i speaking about the future when CentOS is going Streams.

That is the concern. We (the users of CentOS) still want the stability of RHEL point releases. It is hard to say exactly what RedHat's motives are. CentOS brought so many users into the RHEL ecosystem that it seems insane to me that they would jeopardize this relationship.

I think part of the problem is that they didn't think about the ramifications of the timing of this announcement (that or they don't care).

Here's to hoping that Oracle Linux provides the solution. If my newfound interest in Oracle Linux plays out I have a number of RHEL support contracts that will end.

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware of that and the announcement is very recent. That is really a pity. A real blow after the end of scientific linux.

• Sergio-OracleSergio-Oracle Posts: 2,611 Employee

yum.oracle.com is backed by a CDN so global access should be decent. That said, I understand some networks are not designed for Internet access and you are welcome to host your own mirror, public or otherwise. We will look enabling rsync on our en.

Sergio

Thank you for considering rsync-capability. That would be really great.

• Avi Miller-OracleAvi Miller-Oracle Senior Manager, Oracle Linux and Virtualization Product Management Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,656 Employee
    edited December 2020

While rsync support is something we're investigating, keep in mind that the updated version of reposync available in Oracle Linux 8 can be used in almost exactly the same way with yum.oracle.com right now if you use the --download-metadata parameter.

With this enabled, reposync will download all the RPMs and all the repodata/ content so that the repo is immediately useable once the sync has completed. There is no need to run createrepo or modifyrepo at all. And all the module metadata is synced too. This works for all yum repos, both legacy and modular.

For example, dnf reposync --delete --download-metadata -p /repos/ --remote-time will sync all currently enabled repos to /repos/. Another tip is that the oraclelinux:8 container image available from Docker Hub, Oracle Container Registry and GitHub Container Registry has both dnf and the reposync plugin enabled. I actually run this image on my Synology NAS to sync the repos on a daily basis.

Hi Avi,

yes, the improved reposync is very good in comparison to the previous version and I'm very glad I do not have to rebuild the repodata with the huge repos in 8, but still is magnitudes slower than rsync. For example 8Base is checked in rsync for CentOS in less than 1 second and if threre are no new package, the synchronisation is done. The same with reposync took minutes, due to downloading the repodata and manual checking if the files are there.

I don't know about the bandwidth of the CDN for yum, but it was never that fast for me in Germany. I'm very glad I created my local mirror. I also am very glad this is even possible with Oracle Linux, other enterprise linux systems do not allow to do that, so that you for that.

Best,

Andreas