Forum Stats

• 3,733,517 Users
  • 2,246,777 Discussions
  • 7,856,748 Comments

Discussions

Oracle Clients on a PC / Impact

Recently our IT group installed the Oracle 12c Client software on my Windows 10 laptop. This was done so I can interact with a new software product (Alteryx) which we are using. I still have the Oracle 11g Oracle Client Software on my system and am getting an error in Alteryx as seen below. I believe this is due to the 2 versions of the Client being installed.

Before I delete the 11g instance, I was wondering if someone can tell me if I will lose functionality in SQL Developer. I now use this to interact with our server which is running on the 11g database.

Let me know and thanks!

Comments

• EdStevens
    EdStevens Member Posts: 28,132 Gold Crown

Several observations.

First, since this is a corporate install on a corporate machine, why aren't you taking this up with your corporate IT department that made the installation in the first place?

Second, while I have never seen (or even heard of) Alteryx, the error "message text not found" sounds suspiciously like the system environment is not properly set up, such that it couldn't even find the file that contains the message text. With oracle, this is almost certainly because the message text file is located in relation to ORACLE_HOME, and that (ORACLE_HOME) is not properly set. However that is actually a secondary message, in that it is unable to properly report the primary error, which is OCICreateEnv FAiled. I googled that (you could have googled it yourself) and the first hit I got seemed to indicate an old, incompatible Oracle client. So your existing version 11 client could be causing problems. That said, do you know how to un-install it without damaging your new version 12 installation?

As for SQL Dev, what version of that are you using? If your connection definitions are 'basic', SQL Dev will not even be using the installaed oracle client, rather using it's own internal jdbc driver. If your connection definitions are 'TNS', then it will be using the installed oracle client. Unless you have a very old version of SQL Dev, it should be happy with either 11g or 12g clients.