Forum Stats

• 3,769,715 Users
  • 2,253,014 Discussions
  • 7,875,158 Comments

Discussions

Question on GG hub and encryption

cptkirksh
cptkirksh Member Posts: 83 Red Ribbon

I know if i use a typical extract data pump extract and replicat that I can encrypt the trail files and encrypt the connection from source and target to via

RMTHOSTOPTIONS ENCRYPT
and ENCRYPTTRAIL

What If i have setup up a GG hub configuration where I have a separate server in between the source and target? In that situation i only have the extract connecting via oracle client software to botht eh target and source? Thanks

Comments

• ORASCN
    ORASCN Member Posts: 1,825 Gold Trophy

Hello,

ENCRYPT - Encrypts the data when Pump transfers them to target. The data will be sent with encryption.

ENCRYPTTRAIL - The data will be written to the trail file in encrypted format.

If you have the HUB, you don't need a PUMP process as the Extract and Replicat processes will be residing in the same HUB server and OGG HOME (considering the same DB versions on both sides). So there is no encryption, when fetching a data and applying a data.

Regards,

Veera

cptkirksh
  • Pjacob.Ogg-Oracle
    Pjacob.Ogg-Oracle Member Posts: 7 Employee

Hi,

I assume you are trying to see how we could do encryption when doing remote capture ( which means your extract is running on machine B and capturing the data from machine A( which have the db). So when data is captured by the remote extract, how the encryption is possible.

If above is true, then you could check on

SQL*Net encryption – I’m not 100% sure but I think it might be as easy as adding SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT=accepted on the client (where Extract is running) and adding SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER=accepted on the server where the database is running to the sqlnet.ora file. 

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e40393/asoconfg.htm#ASOAG020

Section 9.4.3.1

I think it requires a license for Oracle Advanced Security too.  

--

Regards

Jacob Praveen