Boot Options UEK vs. RHCK? — oracle-tech

Forum Stats

• 3,708,780 Users
  • 2,241,126 Discussions
  • 7,840,613 Comments

Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boot Options UEK vs. RHCK?

User_2OY8HUser_2OY8H Posts: 5 Newbie
edited December 2020 in Oracle Linux

Hi,

a simple question, what do these options mean?

1. option, is this the Oracle-UEK?
  2. option, is this the RHCK??
  3. option "rescue", based on the UEK oder RHCK?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Posts: 7 Newbie

I have a follow-up question on that.

I've been wondering about the two options. Right now my servers are running CentOS 7 with the stock kernel cloned from RHEL.

In a nutshell, what are the advantages of running the UEK kernel instead of the stock Red Hat kernel on a server?

• Avi Miller-OracleAvi Miller-Oracle Senior Manager, Oracle Linux and Virtualization Product Management Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 4,656 Employee
    edited December 2020

In a nutshell? It's newer, tracks mainline more closely, is used on (almost) all Oracle Engineered Systems and powers Oracle Cloud. It has better hardware support, better file system support, more functionality and is less reliant on a single vendor's ability to back port large feature, functionality or bug fixes from mainline which is further and further ahead.

(The UEK is not used on the SPARC-based Supercluster or the ZFSSA, both of which run Solaris. The ZFSSA is technically a storage appliance not an Engineered system, but I mention it for completeness).

Microlinux