Forum Stats

• 3,874,365 Users
  • 2,266,735 Discussions
  • 7,911,832 Comments

Discussions

How to install Solaris v11.3 as MBR?

User_US7JZ
User_US7JZ Member Posts: 44 Blue Ribbon

I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card. The Nvidia device driver for GTX1070Ti only works for Solaris v11.3, and only if Solaris is installed on a non UEFI disk, i.e. not a GPT disk. To get accelerated graphics on Solaris, I need to use v11.3, installed as MBR.

My question is, how do I install v11.3 as MBR?

I have done this:

• Used latest Gparted usb live to format my disk like this: create a new partition "msdos", which means MBR. Gparted reports the disk as "msdos" formatted, and not "GPT" formatted.
  • Booted my Solaris 11.3 usb stick as non UEFI, and did the installation successfully.

However, Solaris v11.3 refuses to boot. I also notice that the disk has been converted to "GPT" during installation - which I dont want.

So my question is: how do I stop the installation software to convert the disk to GPT?

Best Answer

Answers

• User_US7JZ

Thanx for your answer! I shall try that out! :)

Regarding the latest Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti driver for Solaris. It only installs on a MBR installation. GPT does not work. When I try to install it, Solaris 11.3 reports errors. I have a Solaris 11.3 machine here, and can try to install it for you, if you really want to know what error messages it reports?

Anyway, read this for more information, I have exactly the same problem:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/new-nvidia-driver-solaris11-3-install-problems/52238/5

• User_US7JZ

Nik, I have skimmed the pdf, but cannot find the page which you quote. How in earth did you find that out??? And on which page is it?

O_o

• Nik
    Nik Blocked Member Posts: 2,879 Bronze Crown
    edited Dec 31, 2020 7:34AM

Hi.

Page 28.

The installer uses GPT formatting when installing onto a whole disk or an unformatted disk. However, existing GPT partitions or DOS partitions are retained by default and displayed by the installer, so you can retain and install into an existing partition.

I also read links that You provide.

It's look like new driver NVIDIA, that support UEFI included at "The SRU is designated 11.3.26.5.0, with release date of 15Nov2017"

But it very old thread of forum, so I recomend look on latest SRU for Solaris 11.3

Regards,

Nik

• User_US7JZ

Nik,

I read the same article and to me it was not clear that I could use a MBR partition. You seem to be clever. :)

Regarding the latest SRU for Solaris 11.3, I do not have a support contract. Which means I do not have access to the latest SRU, right? So therefore I must use a MBR Solaris 11.3 and the public Nvidia driver to get accelerated Solaris 11.3 graphics. Or do you see any other solution, clever guy? :)

• Nik
    Nik Blocked Member Posts: 2,879 Bronze Crown

Hi.

Is not clear what reason use this card with Solaris 11.3.

It's old version of Solaris, so some features will not work.

It's not gaming platform. Solaris is not best choiche as desktop platform ( many years Oracle do not sell workstation or some other for desktop). Many desktop software is not available for Solaris.

Look on HCL for Solaris 11. Only 9 graphics card supported.

https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/data/s11ga/components/views/video_adapter_all_results.page1.html

Linux or Windows give much more capabilities for using this card.

Regards,

Nik